Has Microsoft fixed the "Remember window size and position" issue? RRS feed

• Question

• Three years into Windows 7, Microsoft does not seem to have fixed the "Remember window size and position" issue. Folder windows may remember their size and position, but not program windows. You can use third party software like Auto Sizer (free) and Windows Manager ($10) but the fact that this is necessary means that Windows 7 has a serious bug. The very long thread at Can we get a straight answer? ends with no solution. Loyal customers who have stuck with Microsoft for decades and not switched to Apple or Google feel cheated.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 6:05 AM

Answers

• I tested some programs of Microsoft like Office, IE. Windows 7 could remember these program Windows size and position when it closed last time.

So what program have you met that Windows 7 cannot remember the size and position? Please try to logon with Clean Boot to check if the same issue occurs.

Also you can try to create anther user account and login for test.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, August 3, 2012 9:20 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 7:01 AM

All replies

• I tested some programs of Microsoft like Office, IE. Windows 7 could remember these program Windows size and position when it closed last time.

So what program have you met that Windows 7 cannot remember the size and position? Please try to logon with Clean Boot to check if the same issue occurs.

Also you can try to create anther user account and login for test.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, August 3, 2012 9:20 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Windows 7 does not remember size and position of Windows Explorer windows, as Win XP and its predecessors did so successfully.  For me, thi is a major drawback.  Now - has anyone discovered if this (to me) key feature has been restored in Win 8?

Regards,

Dan

Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:54 PM
  • THIS WORKS FOR XP PRO... Give it a try!

Open the folder, or create a new one.

Position and re-size it, or even maximize it as you like.

Do not close it by clicking the X

Close it by clicking File > Close

That will save it for all future uses even if you hit the X afterwards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately you will have to do the same for all your existing folders.
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Sorry, but using File > Close does not work on my Win 7 system.

Sunday, August 18, 2013 3:17 AM
  • If you want to save the position of windows on your desktop you can try Mosaico at www.soulidstudio.com . You can save up to 8 different windows layouts and restore them anytime. Mosaico also has assisted and automatic windows tiling. It's a time-saver when you have many apps opened at once.   
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:28 AM