none
Problem with indent when i import from excel to project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm trying import my project from excel to MSP but i have a problem with indent. Just when the data is importing, MSP says: Annul the indent of the sub-task in row 1, columns 12.

In the col12 i have the "predecessors" and only in the row 1 col 12 the task have no predecessor because this task is the first.

Please Help me!

Thursday, August 20, 2015 1:52 PM

Answers

• To those who may be following this thread,

Ricardo sent me his Excel test file and I was able to do a successful import to Project. The Excel file had some errors in the column for the predecessors (e.g. a "0" entry which is not the same as a null value, and the predecessor sequence was off by one task thus creating an invalid relationship). Once those issues were corrected the import was error free.

It is important to remember that Project is a scheduling application that actually needs very little data to allow its scheduling engine to plan out a project. Excel is "just" a spreadsheet and can take any kind of information the user wants to enter. However, when importing Excel data into Project to create a plan is is very important to remember that attempting to import too much data will either result in Project rejecting the import entirely, or importing a plan with lots of issues to be resolved.

John

Friday, August 21, 2015 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Ricardo,

In your Excel file, you do have a column which needs to be mapped with the MS Project "outline level" column. This allows you setting the right task hierarchy while importing your excel sheet into Project. The value should be 1 for all first level task, 2 for sub tasks, etc...

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:08 PM
  • Hi Ricardo,

In your Excel file, you do have a column which needs to be mapped with the MS Project "outline level" column. This allows you setting the right task hierarchy while importing your excel sheet into Project. The value should be 1 for all first level task, 2 for sub tasks, etc...

Hope this helps,

Hi, I have:

Id, Task Name, Active, Task mode, duration, begin date,  end date, type, % complete, outline level, predecessors,  restricction type, restricction date.

In outline level column, I put 1 in the first task, then 2 in rest of tasks.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Hi Ricardo,

I suggest to test some simple things, such as importing without the predecessor column, then without the outline level column. Also what is trstriction type and date and with which MS Project columns do you map them? Try without those 2 columns and see if it helps. Also make sure that the format in Excel are correct, this might cause such issues.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:21 PM
  • Hi Ricardo,

I suggest to test some simple things, such as importing without the predecessor column, then without the outline level column. Also what is trstriction type and date and with which MS Project columns do you map them? Try without those 2 columns and see if it helps. Also make sure that the format in Excel are correct, this might cause such issues.

When I remove those columns MSP does not recognize the new Excel File :(

Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Ricardo,

If I may jump in with a few thoughts.

Since Project is a scheduling application, importing too much data can actually be counterproductive. For example, the minimum fields for import should be: Task Name, Duration, Start (only if there are no predecessors), and Predecessors. You could also import the Outline Level if you need a specific hierarchy (indentation structure). Attempting to import Finish or Constraint type and date, (I believe that is what you mean by restrictions), will likely cause a conflict with Project's scheduling engine.

Make sure all data in Excel is in text format as that seems to be the only format the import wizard wants to see.

I agree with Guillaume that you should start with a new simple Excel worksheet with the above minimum fields and then import to a new Project file. Once you get that working, then you can add other fields as appropriate and/or merge or append to an existing Project file. In other words "walk before you try running".

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Ricardo,

If I may jump in with a few thoughts.

Since Project is a scheduling application, importing too much data can actually be counterproductive. For example, the minimum fields for import should be: Task Name, Duration, Start (only if there are no predecessors), and Predecessors. You could also import the Outline Level if you need a specific hierarchy (indentation structure). Attempting to import Finish or Constraint type and date, (I believe that is what you mean by restrictions), will likely cause a conflict with Project's scheduling engine.

Make sure all data in Excel is in text format as that seems to be the only format the import wizard wants to see.

I agree with Guillaume that you should start with a new simple Excel worksheet with the above minimum fields and then import to a new Project file. Once you get that working, then you can add other fields as appropriate and/or merge or append to an existing Project file. In other words "walk before you try running".

Hope this helps.

John

Hi John, this project is "walk before running", because my original Excel File contains more than six thousand of rows.

At first, I tried to import all (very big excel file) to MSP but there were many errors that I could not fix. Then I decided to made this little project and this is the only mistake I have to fix.

I just tried with:

Task Name, Duration, Start (only if there are no predecessors), and Predecessors.

So appears the same error: 

"Annul the indent of the sub-task .."

Ricardo.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:59 PM
  • Ricardo,

Well something is very wrong if you are getting that message from a simple test file. How many tasks are in your test file? I'd limit it to maybe ten tasks.

What version of Project are you using? What version of Office? Are they both updated with the latest fixes?

Can you post a screen shot of your Excel test file, not the big 6000 task Excel file? Maybe we can see something that isn't quite right or at least replicate it and do some tests.

By the way, what is your end goal? Are you trying to do a one-time convert of a big Excel plan into Project, or is the import something you plan on doing on a regular basis (i.e. append or merge Excel updates into an existing Project file).

John

Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:11 PM
  • Jhon,

Yes, I just tried with ten tasks.

I have MSP 2013 trial version, Microsoft Office 2010.

My overall goal is a long story, but in short, I have many batch processes in an Excel file. I need to import this MSP to know what is the critical path. I'm doing this process (import to project from excel) manually, but once i do, I must automate it.

i.imgur-com/4KbLm7n.png  --->  replace - instead . 

i.imgur-com/C7e8lM8.png  --->  replace - instead . 

PS: Screens are in spanish because I'm from Chile.

Ricardo.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:39 PM
  • Jhon,

I'm testing with MSP 2010, so appears the same error...

I think the version is not the problem.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:22 PM
  • Ricardo,

Actually it's John, not Jhon.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to look at your screen shots. They appear to just be references to .png files but I can't do anything with them.

Can you send me your little Excel test file? My address is below. I'll only be able to run it using Project 2010 and Office 2010, I don't have the latest versions. I have English versions of Office and Project but I'm hoping they will still be able to open your Spanish version file.

Okay, so you are using a trial version of Project 2013 and/or Project 2010 but you didn't tell us if it is fully updated. When using Project it is very important to have the latest updates. The best way to update either version is through Windows update. Project will update as part of any Office update.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:52 PM
  • John,

my e-mail is:

rcontardod gmail .com

Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:27 PM
  • To those who may be following this thread,

Ricardo sent me his Excel test file and I was able to do a successful import to Project. The Excel file had some errors in the column for the predecessors (e.g. a "0" entry which is not the same as a null value, and the predecessor sequence was off by one task thus creating an invalid relationship). Once those issues were corrected the import was error free.

It is important to remember that Project is a scheduling application that actually needs very little data to allow its scheduling engine to plan out a project. Excel is "just" a spreadsheet and can take any kind of information the user wants to enter. However, when importing Excel data into Project to create a plan is is very important to remember that attempting to import too much data will either result in Project rejecting the import entirely, or importing a plan with lots of issues to be resolved.

John

Friday, August 21, 2015 5:07 PM
  • John,

OMG! I tried removing 0 from predecessors and works good!
    I dont know why now works, because i tried remove 0 many times but the error persisted.
    Really I dont know what happened this time. I'm too glad hahaha.
    Thank you so much!
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:57 PM
  • Ricardo,

You're very welcome and thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you got it working.

John

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:38 PM