Same ol' IE8/Win7 install question, different reason RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working in a corporate environment where the Win7 workstations are pretty locked down.  Users are not allowed to do things via Control Panel / Programs.... nor to update their own systems.

But I need a way to re-install or repair IE8 when necessary.  I'm wondering if there is a command that I can kick off (using admin privileges if needed, via our deployments) to repair IE8's install.  That is, if it can be done via Control Panel / Programs .../"Turn Windows Features On or Off", then there surely must be an underlying command to perform the repair.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?  Also please note that if I try to use the IEAK to design a deployment of IE8, it only applies settings and has absolutely no effect on the program files themselves.  [I tested by renaming iexplore.exe, and the file was not replaced through any method that I tried to re-install IE8, except going via control panel as noted above.)

Thanks for any assistance.

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:23 PM

Answers

• this article may help (change the amd64 to be x86, if needed)

http://spzincho.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/how-to-re-install-internet-explorer-8.html

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by femgeek Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:05 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:04 AM
  • Thanks.  That method describes using dism;  I've also found ocsetup, which seems to work similarly.

Now my problem is finding a way to deal with the "interactive services" session that puts up the reboot prompt!

How are you invoking the elevated session?
    Are you using Runas.exe or psexec.exe -i -s or ?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, August 2, 2013 6:15 AM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:25 AM
  • Psexec -i -s will spawn an interactive session in Local System context, and that isn't subject to UAC, so if your runas is invoking under a typical user account the UAC will still kick in, forcing the interactive services requirement. So yeah, they are a little bit different.

Don

• Marked as answer by femgeek Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:27 PM
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 1:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try the method below to uninstall IE 8 for test.

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

1. Carefully select and then copy the following command:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

2. Click Start, and then type Cmd.exe in the Start Search box.

3. In the list of programs, right-click Cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.

Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

4. Right-click inside the Administrator: Command Prompt window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.

5. Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:31 AM
  • this article may help (change the amd64 to be x86, if needed)

http://spzincho.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/how-to-re-install-internet-explorer-8.html

Don

• Marked as answer by femgeek Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:05 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:04 AM
  • if it can be done via Control Panel / Programs .../"Turn Windows Features On or Off", then there surely must be an underlying command to perform the repair.

Nope.  I think it was a lost opportunity.   E.g. you uncheck it and the machine literally grinds away doing who knows what just to hide  iexplore.exe  and its shortcuts?   Apparently all that grinding is preserving the broken environment instead of repairing it!  Compare how little time it takes toggling it back on and that surprisingly there is no reboot required when reinstating the component?  So it is not a repair and I don't know of any way to do one which is completely effective (other than what the OS provides for repairing it and all its components as a whole).

However, if someone has a VM set up they are willing to do some extreme testing on, my latest ideas for repair possibilities would be from some of the (apparent) multitude of command line switches that  ie4uinit.exe  has embedded in it.   Unfortunately there is no documentation for these and only scattered hints in various blogs and forums that there might be something effective done using them.

An even better implementation I suspect would be to create a comprehensive troubleshooter as an msdt file.   There are some which concern IE but they are very specific and there is no sign that they would do the kind of general mass registry reinitialization that would be wanted in many cases.  E.g. run one while ProcMon is recording Operation Is RegSetValue to see how limited they are in that regard.

Otherwise the best that we have is mass applications of whatever can be done via regsvr32.exe commands but that technique is increasingly less effective as it is eroded by security patches and as module names change and the DllRegisterServer and DllInstall entry points are either eliminated or moved around.

BTW someone is distributing something called the "Complete Internet Repair Tool" that several users have apparently had success with but I haven't used it and don't know what it does.  That would be another thing to try using isolated in a VM and monitored by ProcMon to understand what all it does.

FYI
    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:18 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks.  That method describes using dism;  I've also found ocsetup, which seems to work similarly.

Now my problem is finding a way to deal with the "interactive services" session that puts up the reboot prompt!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:02 AM
  • Thanks.  I was unable to get this method (FORFILES ...) to work;  even from a command prompt that was "Run as Administrator", I received errors about not having the rights to do this.  I think this method might be running into problems because IE8 is handled and owned by "TrustedInstaller".

I have a feeling that finding a workaround, in this particular instance, will take me longer than working with dism or ocsetup.  But I want to thank you for the thorough "it should have worked" response.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:05 AM

How are you invoking the elevated session?

Don

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, August 2, 2013 6:15 AM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:25 AM
  • Glad to hear the issue is resolved!
    Friday, August 2, 2013 11:20 AM
  • How are you invoking the elevated session?

I am just using "Run as Administrator" as noted in the post;  is there really any effective difference between those methods?  (Serious question.)

Friday, August 2, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Psexec -i -s will spawn an interactive session in Local System context, and that isn't subject to UAC, so if your runas is invoking under a typical user account the UAC will still kick in, forcing the interactive services requirement. So yeah, they are a little bit different.

Don

• Marked as answer by femgeek Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:27 PM
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 1:12 AM

This is a really interesting suggestion, especially as it all works fine except for the "interactive services" issue, which not only hides "behind" but also requires paying attention or trying to time things.  i.e. I found that I can use

ocsetup.exe Internet-Explorer-Optional-xxxxx /uninstall

followed by

ocsetup.exe Internet-Explorer-Optional-xxxxx

and I can even switch to session 0 using

rundll32 winsta.dll,WinStationSwitchToServicesSession

... but I have to guess how long the install is going to take, if I want to actually catch the reboot prompt -- and the reboot is needed to make this work.

Just for the record, UAC is "off" (i.e. slider at the very bottom) but that hasn't helped with the Interactive Services issue;  in Win7, the install still spawns that separate session, perhaps because IE8 is handled by TrustedInstaller.

I will report back results, in case anyone else is trying to research this too (as it seems to be a common dilemma.

Monday, August 5, 2013 7:57 PM
  • Psexec -i -s will spawn an interactive session in Local System context, and that isn't subject to UAC, so if your runas is invoking under a typical user account the UAC will still kick in, forcing the interactive services requirement.

This is getting me very close to all my answers.  For the 64-bit version of Windows 7, I am able to use psexec with ocsetup to do the remove/reinstall actions, and I can get the reboot prompt into the foreground by invoking in session 1 (-i 1).  I have not got this working on the 32-bit version yet, but I think I can work it out;  in specific, the 32-bit version doesn't like the "-i 1" although I end up with the Interactive Services prompt on the taskbar.

I still prefer using ocsetup for this process, though, and appreciate the tip about psexec, as that's made all the difference.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:27 PM