Hibernate Feature Problem! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

When I start a game I got this message after 10 minutes (doesn't matter what game) "The Hibernate feature is disabled now. You have to enable the Hibernate feature" If I don't shut down the game my computer shut down it self in sleeping mode. My processes is saved but if I return to the game it will do the same thing again.

I've tried to run command as an administrator and typed "powercfg /h on" to get the hibernate feature back on. But It doesn't work.

I've tried to switch it OFF and ON in the advanced power settings. Doesn't work either.

Anyone who know what it could be?

Thank you!

(Im using Windows Vista 32bit Home premium)
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Firstly, I would like to talk about the difference between Hibernate and Sleep. In Windows Vista, sleep saves your settings in memory and draws a small amount of power to maintain that memory. Hibernate, on the other hand, writes your settings and the content of memory to the hard disk and then completely powers down the system. Thus in sleep mode Windows doesn't shut down the game but save processes in memory.

Regarding the current status, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.     Does this issue occur with other applications? As you mentioned above that it doesn't matter what game you run, I recommend that you run the system built-in games such as Minesweeper to see if the issue occurs.

2.     Restore the default power plans.

a)     Click the Start button and click Control Panel.

b)     Click Classic view and click Power Options.

c)     Click Change plan settings and click Change Advanced power settings.

d)     Click Restore plan defaults.

e)     Start a game and see if the issue persists.

3.     Microsoft has released a KB on enabling hibernation.

How do I enable hibernation on my Windows Vista-based computer?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929658

4.     Perform a clean boot to see if any incompatible power management software is installed.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:20 AM