none
Resource Leveling or Task Creation Strategies to Ensure Proper Allocation Over Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am attempting to resource load a software development schedule as a Basis of Estimate (BOE).

Although resources are assigned to discrete tasks in the schedule, the project is also responsible for the total cost of the resource at the allocation level defined in the resource tab.  For example, if the resource is assigned at 50% (~1000 hours) but only assigned to 250 hours of work on discrete tasking, the assumption is the resource performs another 750 hours of  related project work on other tasking outside the scope of the software development schedule.  Aside from normal 8 hour work days, the resource is not constrained to 4 hours a day, but rather 1000 hours over the year long project.

In an effort to still capture that cost, I've tried creating LOE hammock tasks tied to the start and end dates of a particular build, with the idea that the resource would "bounce" back and forth between the discrete task and the LOE task.  I do not want the discrete tasking to move during leveling, so I've set it at 1000 priority.  This, of course, creates resource leveling issues. I've tried a variety of different methods (fixed work, task splitting, recurring tasks) and still can't find the right solution.  I'm open to any recommendations that still allow me to capture the hours/cost the resource will require over the project, and prefer a solution that won't require hours of tedious leveling once actual work begins and dates shift.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:51 AM