none
How to schedule a runbook with Orchestrator to run at specfic time.

Question

• Hello guys,

I have created a runbook that sends email. I want to start it at specfic time. The scheduling option only allows me to define in which day and hour window the runbook will start, but does not allow me to automate the running of the Runbook.

How should i run it ? Should i just check in and click run and leave it and once the scheduled date and time comes then it will start ? Or i should schedule somehow and it will run automatically . Please explain this to me.

Monday, July 01, 2013 9:37 PM

Answers

• Hello,

if you want to do it in Orchestrator to have a central location and one thing to maintain:

In "Global Settings - Schedules" you can define your days or periods. With the Activity "Check Schedule" Orchestrator checks if this condition is met ("conforms to schedule" in the link condition after). Use "Monitor Date/Time" to trigger it at a specific hour.

I think best practice is here to have a "Invoke Runbook" Activity following that you can also trigger the "Worker-" Runbook manually. Start the Scheduling Runbook.

Schedule

Regards,

Stefan

www.sc-orchestrator.eu , Blog sc-orchestrator.eu

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 4:54 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hello,

if you want to do it in Orchestrator to have a central location and one thing to maintain:

In "Global Settings - Schedules" you can define your days or periods. With the Activity "Check Schedule" Orchestrator checks if this condition is met ("conforms to schedule" in the link condition after). Use "Monitor Date/Time" to trigger it at a specific hour.

I think best practice is here to have a "Invoke Runbook" Activity following that you can also trigger the "Worker-" Runbook manually. Start the Scheduling Runbook.

Schedule

Regards,

Stefan

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 4:54 AM
    Answerer
  • The easiest way to trigger a runbook to run once a day would be to start a "scheduler" runbook with a "monitor date/time" activity set for the specific time you want to trigger your main runbook. The downside is that this runbook will be "running" 24x7x365 and will wait for that specific time to trigger the other runbook. It works well though. You can even have it trigger the main runbook every 2 hours, or every 10 minutes, or whatever you want.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:29 PM
  • OK. Thank you. I have managed to create and schedule using this actions. Now things are clear to me.

ONE MORE QUESTION . CAN I CREATE schedules or trigger runbooks from Service Manager ?

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Hello,

I'm not sure if such a Schedule is possible in Service Manager. Perhaps you should start a new thread in the Service Manager Forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/home?forum=systemcenterservicemanager

Regards

Stefan

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:40 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi...

We have a little different scenario and help that someone will provide suggestions. 

1.        We created a Monitor Activity with an updated as trigger and added two filters: Status = Active, Priority        Does not equal to 1. 
    2.        Checked in and clicked run in Runbook designer.
    3.        Modified the incident in Service Manager with step 1 criteria
    4.        The runbook did not trigger.
    5.        How to execute the runbook in Service Manager.   

Thank you!

Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:31 PM