Retiring Exchange 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed and moved the majority of our Exchange 2003 mailboxes to Exchange 2010.  I have a couple 2003 servers that I am ready to retire, more are still needed for legacy systems, hence the few remaining mailboxes in 2003.

What are the proper steps to decommission/remove an Exchange 2003 server? 

I assume I can remove 2003 when all I have left are SMTP (host-{GUID}, System Attendant and SystemMailbox{GUID}. 

What do I need to do with Public Folders/System Folders? Can I remove Exchange and the removal will take care of the replication, or do I/should I first remove that server from each of the folders being replicated? 

Thursday, May 7, 2015 7:20 PM

Answers

• If you have migrated all of the public folders (including system folders) to Exchange 2010 systems, you need to make sure none of your mailbox databases point to the Exchange 2003 public folder database.  Once you have done this, you can remove the public folder replicas from this server, then delete the public folder database.  Once it is deleted, if there are no other resources handled by this server, uninstall Exchange from the server.

For full steps on how to uninstall Exchange 2003 (including removing resources), check the following TechNet article:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125110

• Marked as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:53 AM
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 8:15 PM
  • Hi Joel,

Thank you for your question.

A: first of all, you should move all mailbox to Exchange 2010, then  I suggest you shutdown Exchange 2003 for a period time to make sure message flow is well on Exchange 2010, then we could decommission Exchange 2003 server.

What do I need to do with Public Folders/System Folders

A:if there are outlook 2003 in organization, we must migrate public folder to Exchanged 2010. Then we could remove the public folder by the following link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2007/07/09/3403373.aspx

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know. 

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 11, 2015 9:18 AM

All replies

• If you have migrated all of the public folders (including system folders) to Exchange 2010 systems, you need to make sure none of your mailbox databases point to the Exchange 2003 public folder database.  Once you have done this, you can remove the public folder replicas from this server, then delete the public folder database.  Once it is deleted, if there are no other resources handled by this server, uninstall Exchange from the server.

For full steps on how to uninstall Exchange 2003 (including removing resources), check the following TechNet article:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125110

Thursday, May 7, 2015 8:15 PM
  • Hi Joel,

Thank you for your question.

A: first of all, you should move all mailbox to Exchange 2010, then  I suggest you shutdown Exchange 2003 for a period time to make sure message flow is well on Exchange 2010, then we could decommission Exchange 2003 server.

What do I need to do with Public Folders/System Folders

A:if there are outlook 2003 in organization, we must migrate public folder to Exchanged 2010. Then we could remove the public folder by the following link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2007/07/09/3403373.aspx

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know. 

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 11, 2015 9:18 AM
  • This is a good guide too:

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2003/migration-deployment/Removing-First-Exchange-2003-Server-Part1.html

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, May 11, 2015 5:41 PM
  • Thank you for the replies.

System Folders: To be sure I understand correctly, I don't see "System Public Folders" in Exchange 2003.  I do see them in the 2010 Public Folder Management Console.  These include OWAScratchPad{GUID}, schema-root, StoreEvents{GUID}.  I assume those retire with 2003.  It's everything listed under "Default Public Folders" that need to be replicated, then remove the target 2003 server from all folders, then proceed with decommissioning 2003.

RE the shut down, wait and see method:  If I do this, I assume I'll have routing messages fill up the queues on all the remaining 2003 servers. 

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 10:33 PM
  • In the Exchange 2003 admin tool, you need to select "View System Folders" to see them - and as I recall, when you see the system folders, you won't see the normal public folders.

As for your other Exchange 2003 servers, if you have no mailboxes or public folders on the "shut down" servers, you shouldn't see any queueing on other systems.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 12:34 PM