Anyone using a DNSBL? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know of any good DNSBL or RBL out there? We are thinking of using one like spamhaus but we would like some feedback from anyone who used them before and know of any pros and cons.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:05 PM

Answers

• Personally I don't use them at all with any of my clients as I don't like the idea of someone else deciding what email I can and cannot receive. Having seen how some of the black list groups operate in the past, particularly with getting delisted, it can be a lot of hand holding. It isn't really a set and forget solution.

I use an application that builds a blacklist based on actual traffic to my site, which I can then manipulate in real time myself. That is much more effective as it means if a potential client has got blacklisted by one of the major RBLs they can still email me.

If you do decide to implement RBL, then sure that you set the NDR with some useful information, so that a legitimate sender knows why their email has been rejected.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:27 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We are using spamhaus and are happy with the result.

Leif

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:19 PM
  • are ou using the free or comercial feature? If free, did you ever reach lookup volume that exceeded the allowed limit? what happend when you are firewalled by spamhaus?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:11 PM
  • Personally I don't use them at all with any of my clients as I don't like the idea of someone else deciding what email I can and cannot receive. Having seen how some of the black list groups operate in the past, particularly with getting delisted, it can be a lot of hand holding. It isn't really a set and forget solution.

I use an application that builds a blacklist based on actual traffic to my site, which I can then manipulate in real time myself. That is much more effective as it means if a potential client has got blacklisted by one of the major RBLs they can still email me.

If you do decide to implement RBL, then sure that you set the NDR with some useful information, so that a legitimate sender knows why their email has been rejected.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:27 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:08 AM