none
Restoring DPM server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Can anyone provide advice for this scenario: a DPM server was corrupted and the config data was stored on a VTL.

Is it possible to re-install DPM on another server then access the VTL to recover the DPM backup data?

Can this procedure work: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808944.aspx

Accessing the VTL to retrieve the dpm data?

Thanks,

Peter

Regards Peter

• Edited by PeterCCS Tuesday, July 24, 2018 4:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:43 AM

Answers

• I understand the issue. Like I already said, as far as I know you have only one option currently. Deploy a new DPM server with the same name, connect your VTL, recatalog imported tape and restore your database. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by PeterCCS Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:30 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What do you mean with config data? Is the SQL database included in your DPM backup? 

It is possible to connect a tape drive to another DPM server and restore backups, so I would say it should work also with VTL. You need to reinstall DPM server with the same name, connect VTL, add it to DPM and recatalog imported tape. Then you should be able to restore your DPM database with dpmsync.

Hope this helps.

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 5:49 AM
  • The VTL is being used as the storage.

The DPM will also have the database so will include all data required to restore the failed DPM.

Can a VTL which is using disks but seen by DPM as a TAPE have the "tape" recatalog so a newly installed can see the data and retrieve it for the DPM server?

Thanks.

Regards Peter

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 7:25 AM
  • That is why I think this should work the same as for physical tape drive. Personally I did not try it and there is also no official documentation about this, at least I didn't found it. Maybe someone already tried that and will reply to this thread, but if you do not have any other options to restore I would definitely go for it. 

PS. It is recommended (more or less required) to backup your DPM Database with a secondary DPM server or third-party backup so you can easily restore your DPM server.

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 8:15 AM
  • thanks,

on a further question regarding DPM.

Can a data source be backed up daily on disk, then long term for weekly and also monthly when you create a protection group for that data? so can you select 2 types of long term - weekly and monthly?

or do you need to create 2 protection groups for the data source in order to have weekly and monthly to tape?

Thanks,

Regards Peter

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 10:05 AM
  • This is a question for a new thread, but anyway. Yes you can configure Weekly, Monthly and Yearly backup time when creating or modifying protection group. On Specify long-term goals select Customize and configure your recovery goals as needed. 

You cannot backup the same workload in different protection groups. 

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 12:14 PM
  • So basically another DPM machine can access another DPM's backed up data which is stored on a VTL?

Or a DPM machine with identical IP address and name can access the original DPM's backed up data?

This is in scenarios where the original DPM wiith database is corrupt and unavailable and you need to somehow access the backed up data in the VTL.

Thanks.

Regards Peter

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 2:03 AM
  • Check this link for different options how to backup your primary DPM server and replicas: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/back-up-the-dpm-server?view=sc-dpm-1807

So basically another DPM machine can access another DPM's backed up data which is stored on a VTL?

Yes, but no directly. Secondary DPM servers needs to have a dedicated storage for replicas. You configure a secondary backup, this means the data from your primary VTL will be copied to the secondary DPM storage. 

Or a DPM machine with identical IP address and name can access the original DPM's backed up data?

Yes, if you have a backup of your DPM database, you can restore your DPM server with the same name and access your backed up data.

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 5:22 AM
  • Basically its this scenario:

I only have 1 DPM server and it stores all backup data to a VTL including its own database.

Now the DPM server has failed.

How can I access the VTL to retrieve the DPM database to restore the DPM server?

Thanks.

Regards Peter

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7:14 AM
  • I understand the issue. Like I already said, as far as I know you have only one option currently. Deploy a new DPM server with the same name, connect your VTL, recatalog imported tape and restore your database. 

• Marked as answer by PeterCCS Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:30 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7:54 AM