none
Email Sender Verification RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning Technet!

I am working on setting up an exchange server for the student body of our local school district.  As this is an unusual situation, it calls for unusual measures of protection for the students. 

Several years ago (2 I believe), I sent a vendor an email.  I immediately received a message from that vendor that said "Your email account isn't in our database... click here to add it so you can send emails".  While this shocked me, it struck me as a very unique sender verification concept.  While on its own, it is highly flawed, coupled with a good spam filter, it could go a long way to accomplishing my goals.  Does anyone know how this was done?  I would assume Exchange capable, however, I am unable to find anything even close to this.  This could easily be because I have no clue what to even search for.

If something like this doesn't exist in Exchange, does someone know other things I can do to "wall off" our student email and prevent further problems aside from your standard spam protection?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:07 PM

Answers

• Well, this goes back to the classic security argument... access, or protection.  The objective is to make it slightly more protected than just spam filtered, while still available for students parents to be able to send them messages.  Due to the nature of where the students parents will be emailing from, this makes it exceptionally more difficult to both protect, and provide service.

If anyone has any ideas, or any concepts that might assits, I am all ears.  

Then use a anti-spam solution that allows the students to whitelist, and then recommend that they set their client to Safe Senders Only. The rest will be either in the anti-spam product's quarantine or their junk mail folder in OWA/Outlook.  These issues are no different other than any university, public school, government or company faces.

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:32 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:28 PM

All replies

• There is nothing built-in that does this. You would need a 3rd party solution. But I would recommend against it.

Its called Sender Address Verification or Callouts. It has fallen out of favor and is rarely used since it really doesnt work ( Most SPAM is forged) and its annoying and abusive to legitimate senders. If anything, it will get you put on a blocklist for responding to forged senders.

Stick with good anti-spam software or out source it. Use SPF/Sender ID and you will be good. If you really want to wall off your students, then your mail server should not be on the internet  :)

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Well, this goes back to the classic security argument... access, or protection.  The objective is to make it slightly more protected than just spam filtered, while still available for students parents to be able to send them messages.  Due to the nature of where the students parents will be emailing from, this makes it exceptionally more difficult to both protect, and provide service.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:23 PM

Then use a anti-spam solution that allows the students to whitelist, and then recommend that they set their client to Safe Senders Only. The rest will be either in the anti-spam product's quarantine or their junk mail folder in OWA/Outlook.  These issues are no different other than any university, public school, government or company faces.

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:32 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:28 PM