none
Deployment and unattend.xml with DISM.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I created a VM image just as I want it. I sysprepped it as I captured it using MDK and ADK. Its a Win7E x64 image.

Now, when I deploy it, I see that a Task Sequence, just after the OS (my image) is dropped, it runs another unattend. That completely undoes all I've done when I captured it...it changes the pc name, changes lots of other settings, tries to join to the domain...but I don't see it as a step to skip. Any ideas how to disable ALL sysprep/unattend steps in MDT during a Deploy? OR, if not, how I can force it to use MY unattend such as I did during the initial image capture/creation. Thanks!

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:13 AM

Answers

• Windows 7 sysprep is slightly different than Windows XP -- unattend.xml is not used as part of the sysprep process at all, it is only used as part of the unattend Windows setup (also, don't confuse sysprep -- the process of preparing the image -- and Windows mini-setup which happens after you boot a syspreped image -- they are two different things).

Thus, you must supply an unattend.xml file at the time Windows Setup is run -- in Windows XP you could embed sysprep.inf in the Sysprep folder and it would automatically get used. I think there may be a way to do this with Win 7, but it makes no real sense to embed it in the image as this may change over time and locking it in to the image locks you into that unattend.xml. Hard-coding anything in the image like this is generally bad form.

Thus, the easy answer is to add it to a package and specify it in the Apply OS Image task.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:46 PM

All replies

• What I have always done is sysprep the main image, and capture it, so that each machine it deploys to, makes that machine come up out of that same sysprep, with the same answers the main image has. I've not seen this happen until using MDT. I always used LanDesk to capture images (imageW).
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:18 AM
  • Windows 7 sysprep is slightly different than Windows XP -- unattend.xml is not used as part of the sysprep process at all, it is only used as part of the unattend Windows setup (also, don't confuse sysprep -- the process of preparing the image -- and Windows mini-setup which happens after you boot a syspreped image -- they are two different things).

Thus, you must supply an unattend.xml file at the time Windows Setup is run -- in Windows XP you could embed sysprep.inf in the Sysprep folder and it would automatically get used. I think there may be a way to do this with Win 7, but it makes no real sense to embed it in the image as this may change over time and locking it in to the image locks you into that unattend.xml. Hard-coding anything in the image like this is generally bad form.

Thus, the easy answer is to add it to a package and specify it in the Apply OS Image task.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:46 PM