Windows Experience Index Inconsistencies RRS feed

• Question

• Could some one tell me how I could get a score of 4.4 for "Desktop performance for Windows Aero" and a score of 5.1 for "3D business and gaming graphics performance"? Doesn't it seem that if Windows Vista can handle 3D applications that it could most certainly handle Window Areo with ease?

Friday, February 1, 2008 12:53 AM

All replies

• The main reason I would guess is how vista uses shaders, and how much video ram is needed for transparent glass and flip ect. For example vista probably barely uses the shaders yet may require more ram. So it would rate a 256MB card with terrible shaders (say a 7300 or equalevant) like you suggest.

If you look around, or just have common sense, as you pointed out the Experience Index is not a very accurate benchmarking tool, but its not meant to be. It is just supose to be a general rating that is really only helpful when looking to buy a new box. It is now harder for companies like Dell that use to short unsuspecting customers on RAM ect. For example I have an old 98 HP that was amazing for the time 700Mhz P3, and and 256MB Ram, Geforce4 64MB... ect. A few years later my sister buys a Dell for more than I paid for the HP with the only significant upgrade being a P4, but Mhz don't mean as much with the P4 as a 1Ghz P3 is roughly a 2Ghz P4. This is where if vista had been around you would see the ratings were the same as much older machine, therefore making it harder for the big OEMs to rip off the unsuspecting non-techies.

I get a 5.9 on areo and 5.7 gaming with a highly overclocked 7600GT, which is pretty accurate I guess but those numbers don't really mean anything in terms of benchmarking.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 4:03 PM
  • I see your point but doesn't it seem strange that if Vista gives the 3D gaming rating a 5.1 that it could have easily given the Aero a 5.3 or 5.4 such as in your case? I don't quite understand the logic in Vista's video rating scheme. I have an NVidia 8500GT with 512MB of RAM so I think it should MORE than be able to handle Vista's Areo. Wierd. Well, I'll just ignore it then. Maybe SP1 will sort things out. We'll see.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 5:36 PM