Welcome Screen Windows 7 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    Is there a way to change welcome screen to look like XP? or I should say win2k3? Same question goes for Windows 2008 Ent, I might need to make it a term server and it would be much nicer looking like 2003 or 2000 or NT?

Thank you

Anton
    Friday, December 11, 2009 9:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Anton,

I am sorry that we cannot do it.

This is not something we will support in Windows 7. We've talked about and shown a great many "personalization" elements of Windows 7 already, such as the new themepacks which you can try out in the beta. The reasons for this should be pretty clear, which is that we cannot guarantee the security of the system to allow for arbitrary elements to be loaded into memory at boot time. In the early stages of starting Windows, the system needs to be locked down and execute along a very carefully monitored and known state as tools such as firewalls and anti-virus checking are not yet available to secure the system. And of course, even though we're sure everyone would follow the requirements around image size, content, etc. due to performance we would not want to build in all the code necessary to guarantee that all third parties would be doing so. -------Engineering Windows 7

Hope it helps.

Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:55 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Anton,

I am sorry that we cannot do it.

This is not something we will support in Windows 7. We've talked about and shown a great many "personalization" elements of Windows 7 already, such as the new themepacks which you can try out in the beta. The reasons for this should be pretty clear, which is that we cannot guarantee the security of the system to allow for arbitrary elements to be loaded into memory at boot time. In the early stages of starting Windows, the system needs to be locked down and execute along a very carefully monitored and known state as tools such as firewalls and anti-virus checking are not yet available to secure the system. And of course, even though we're sure everyone would follow the requirements around image size, content, etc. due to performance we would not want to build in all the code necessary to guarantee that all third parties would be doing so. -------Engineering Windows 7

Hope it helps.

Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:55 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:46 AM
  • Wow Robinson.  What a shame.  It really looks so cartoonish and unprofessional the way MSFT decided to leave it.

Somewhat related is the usability of the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen, where keyboard control vanishes, and the user (who just USED the KEYBOARD to enter the CTL-ALT-DEL sequence) must now return to the mouse to enter a menu selection.  Who was the user that asked for these "features"?

Really half-baked, IMHO.  After a few weeks of use, I can honestly say that can't imagine corporate America adopting this OS they way they embraced XP.  Too many features are lost, and the only real gains are in cartoon graphics and confusing see-thru windows.  Sure does look pretty, but not very usable.

Glad I set it up as a dual-boot.  I hope MSFT can figure out a way that they CAN do the things they used to be able to do.

-pvs

• Edited by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:51 AM Correction made to MSFT spelling
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Somewhat related is the usability of the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen, where keyboard control vanishes, and the user (who just USED the KEYBOARD to enter the CTL-ALT-DEL sequence) must now return to the mouse to enter a menu selection.

Hi pvs

I think you are mistaking the Welcome Screen for the Logon Screen. You can change the background image for the Logon Screen. This can be complicated, but there is a free utility available that makes this a 2 click process. 7 Logon Changer: Change Windows 7 Login Screen on the Fly

Also, on the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen, you don't need to use the mouse. Each one of the menu items on that screen have an underlined letter. Simply press ALT+underlined letter to select that menu item.

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:16 AM
  • Hi pvs

I think you are mistaking the Welcome Screen for the Logon Screen. You can change the background image for the Logon Screen. This can be complicated, but there is a free utility available that makes this a 2 click process. 7 Logon Changer: Change Windows 7 Login Screen on the Fly

Also, on the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen, you don't need to use the mouse. Each one of the menu items on that screen have an underlined letter. Simply press ALT+underlined letter to select that menu item.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thanks Ronnie,  Maybe I AM confusing the two.  So the welcome screen is just the opening MS Flag thingy?  Anyway, I have already changed the background of the login page (plain black), but it still looks cartoonish, needing to select the account by clicking a picture.  Everything is so "game-like", kindergardenish.  And it's such a huge waste of screen real-estate (like SO MANY places in Win 7).  I'd rather have a combo box that lists the configured accounts, like in XP, but I see no way to get that back.  :-(

As for the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen, thanks, I didn't realize that hotkeys were defined there.  But still, why define hotkeys and then ignore arrow keys?  Seems rather unintuitive to me.

It's a shame I am having so many mixed feelings about Win7.  It DOES look nice, and some new features are pretty cool.  But so many things have been lost, seemingly for no reason.  Win 7 has basically useless Status Bars, an inability to have folders remember their coordinates and settings, super large icons that are of no use and provide far less information than their smaller counterparts, large gaps between rows in directory listings, excessively thick borders around windows, confusing and cramped start menu, GADS, the list goes on.

I guess a lot of third-party (sidelining MS Employees, maybe?) applications are going to be needed to make Win7 as useful as XP someday, for additional costs, unfortunately.  What a shame.

-pvs
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Thank you for your prompt responce.
    Here is the issue I have with that, inside of our network I do not meet that tight security, can I make it work then? Something like domain policy for firewall that you can force it off when a computer is inside on the network, and force on when outside.
    And what about the domain drop-down option? Right now I need to type domain, or local computer name before username .
    And the tab skips Other User option, so is there no way in Windows 7 or 2008 I can login as other user without a mouse?
    For the cases when I need to login to the server in the server room where I might not have space to place a mouse.

Thank you in advance

Anton
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:21 PM
  • Thanks Ronnie,  Maybe I AM confusing the two.  So the welcome screen is just the opening MS Flag thingy?  Anyway, I have already changed the background of the login page (plain black), but it still looks cartoonish, needing to select the account by clicking a picture.  Everything is so "game-like", kindergardenish.  And it's such a huge waste of screen real-estate (like SO MANY places in Win 7).  I'd rather have a combo box that lists the configured accounts, like in XP, but I see no way to get that back.  :-(

As for the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen, thanks, I didn't realize that hotkeys were defined there.  But still, why define hotkeys and then ignore arrow keys?  Seems rather unintuitive to me.

It's a shame I am having so many mixed feelings about Win7.  It DOES look nice, and some new features are pretty cool.  But so many things have been lost, seemingly for no reason.  Win 7 has basically useless Status Bars, an inability to have folders remember their coordinates and settings, super large icons that are of no use and provide far less information than their smaller counterparts, large gaps between rows in directory listings, excessively thick borders around windows, confusing and cramped start menu, GADS, the list goes on.

I guess a lot of third-party (sidelining MS Employees, maybe?) applications are going to be needed to make Win7 as useful as XP someday, for additional costs, unfortunately.  What a shame.

-pvs
    Hi pvs

I understand your feelings, a lot of people feel the same way.

One thing about Windows is that with so many users, with different tastes, you can always find a lot third party apps appearing that are designed to make custom changes in some of the UI components.

Another tip on the Logon screen.

If you don't like the user account pictures, you can still get the old NT style logon box where you type the user name and passsword.

If you have Pro or Ultimate, open the Group Policy Editor and navigate to the following policy.

Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options.

In the right-hand pane double click the policy:

Interactive logon: Do not display last user name  -  Change to  Enabled.

If you have the Home Premium version, you can set this policy using the registry.

*Make sure you back up the Key before making any changes.*

Open Regedit and navigate to the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

In the right side pane, look for the Value     dontdisplaylastusername. Double click this value and change the Value Data to 1.

If this value is not present, right click and select New/DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    Name the value  dontdisplaylastusername  and make the change noted above.

Here is a Screenshot of the old style login window.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:47 PM
  • And If I understand correctly I cannot making it look like this?http://www.saunalahti.fi/pesonpa/projects/windows_2003/First_Login_Screen.png
    And I have other questions above as well :)

Thank you

Anton

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:53 PM
  • Hi Anton

First, use the above steps to enable the old style login screen to appear.

If you also want to enable the trusted path and require that users press CTRL+ALT+DEL to make the login box appear, set the following in the group policy editor.

Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options.

In the right-hand pane double click the policy:  Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL

Set this policy to Disabled.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Hi pvs

I understand your feelings, a lot of people feel the same way.

One thing about Windows is that with so many users, with different tastes, you can always find a lot third party apps appearing that are designed to make custom changes in some of the UI components.

Another tip on the Logon screen.

If you don't like the user account pictures, you can still get the old NT style logon box where you type the user name and passsword.

If you have Pro or Ultimate, open the Group Policy Editor and navigate to the following policy.

In the right-hand pane double click the policy:

Interactive logon: Do not display last user name  -  Change to  Enabled.

If you have the Home Premium version, you can set this policy using the registry.

*Make sure you back up the Key before making any changes.*

In the right side pane, look for the Value     dontdisplaylastusername. Double click this value and change the Value Data to 1.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thanks so much, Ronnie.  I will try this at home tonight and see how it works.  I'm also going to try enabling the CTRL-ALT-DEL mode mentioned later in this thread.  I really appreciate your assistance and support with these growing pains.

-pvs
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Hi pvs

No problem, let us know if you need more help.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:16 AM
  • If you don't like the user account pictures, you can still get the old NT style logon box where you type the user name and passsword.

In the right side pane, look for the Value dontdisplaylastusername. Double click this value and change the Value Data to 1.

Hope this helps.
    Hi again, Ronnie,

While I made this change over a month ago ... and I DO prefer it over the default, I'd like to know if there's any way to get rid of the blank picture frame above the login fileds.  It really is annoying to have to look at that at each login.  I've provided a black background for the login screen, and I'd really like to eliminate that box, as well.

If it's not possible to remove the frame ... can I at least put a picture in it?

Thanks if you (or anyone) can help.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:37 AM
  • Somewhat related is the usability of the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen, where keyboard control vanishes, and the user (who just USED the KEYBOARD to enter the CTL-ALT-DEL sequence) must now return to the mouse to enter a menu selection.

Hi pvs

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Do you happen to know where those settings can be configured manually via registry? I'm a bit apprehensive about installing random executables for onetime use.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 7:14 PM
  • If you don't like the user account pictures, you can still get the old NT style logon box where you type the user name and passsword.

In the right side pane, look for the Value dontdisplaylastusername. Double click this value and change the Value Data to 1.

Here is a Screenshot  of the old style login window.

Hope this helps.
    Hi again, Ronnie,

While I made this change over a month ago ... and I DO prefer it over the default, I'd like to know if there's any way to get rid of the blank picture frame above the login fileds.  It really is annoying to have to look at that at each login.  I've provided a black background for the login screen, and I'd really like to eliminate that box, as well.

If it's not possible to remove the frame ... can I at least put a picture in it?

Thanks if you (or anyone) can help.
    Did you ever find an answer to the 'blank box' gripe? Removing the box or placing a default image in there would be fantastic for me.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 6:24 PM
  • No, unfortunately.  I did some web searching, and I found out that this was also a noted shortcoming in Vista ... was classified as a bug on the blog I found.  I guess it wasn't a bug worth fixing for the rollout of MS's newest flagship OS.

Really looks retarded, IMHO, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and MS likes this look.

Honestly I haven't been playing with 7 that much.  I am hoping a SP might fix what I and many others perceive as downgrades, ill-conceived frills, and reduction of customizability.  Till then, XP will hopefully continue to work wonderfully for me.

Thanks for bringing this thread back into the limelight.  maybe somebody out there DOES know of a reg-tweak or something that will make this login page look like somebody cared enough to complete the programming.

-pvs

Window 7 Home Premium Retail - 64-bit version --- Dual Booting With --- Windows XP Professional - 32-bit version =========================================================== PC: Custom-built, SuperMicro MB - Dual Nocona Processors - 800 MHz FSB - 6GB DDR2 RAM - Approximately 5TB of internal storage on six assorted (Seagate and WD) drives using 3ware RAID Solution - ATI FireGL 7100 Video Card
    Friday, April 30, 2010 8:10 PM
  • How to remove user pictures (and the stupid blank box under classic) from the login screen completely>

I think I may have figured this out by following a vague post on a forum. I'm posting what to do to save others all the time I wasted.

You will need a copy of Resource Hacker for this guide. It can be obtained from: http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Start by taking ownership of the .DLL file in %windir%\system32, it is called authui.dll (Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner > Edit > Select Administrators.) Now give administrators and users full control -- this step probably isn't needed but I didn't want permission errors ruining it. Now copy authui.dll to the desktop and rename the one that was in the system32 dir to authui.bak -- you can use a live cd to rename it back should the edited authui.dll file you place in there later screws your system up. If you are on 64 bit Windows 7 repeat the above steps for authui.dll in %windir%\sysWOW64, you can replace the one on your desktop, the files appear to be the same.

Now open the authui.dll file in resource hacker. There are 3 XML files we are after: UIFILE\12400\1033, UIFILE\12401\1033, and UIFILE\12402\1033 respectively.

UIFILE\12400\1033>

Search for the string
    ----------------------------------------
    <if id = "atom(PictureContainer)">
    <if ElementZoomed = "true">
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "190rp"
    height = "190rp"
    />
    </if>
    <if ElementZoomed = "false">
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "80rp"
    height = "80rp"
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <if id = "atom(PicturePadding)">
    <ZoomableElement
    padding="rect(32rp, 32rp, 32rp, 32rp)"
    />
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    padding="rect(16rp, 16rp, 16rp, 16rp)"
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <if id = "atom(Overlay)">
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "190rp"
    height = "190rp"
    borderthickness = "rect(1rp, 1rp, 1rp, 1rp)"
    background = "resbmp(12223,7,-1,0,0,1,1)"
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    background = "resbmp(12238, 7,-1,0,0,1,1)"
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "80rp"
    height = "80rp"
    background = "resbmp(12222,7,-1,0,0,1,1)"
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    background = "resbmp(12237, 7,-1,0,0,1,1)"
    />
    </if>
    <if selected = "true">
    <ZoomableElement
    background = "resbmp(12219,7,-1,0,0,1,1)"
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    background = "resbmp(12234, 7,-1,0,0,1,1)"
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <if mousefocused = "true">
    <ZoomableElement
    background = "resbmp(12218,7,-1,0,0,1,1)"
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    background = "resbmp(12233, 7,-1,0,0,1,1)"
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <if selected = "true" mousefocused = "true">
    <ZoomableElement
    background = "resbmp(12220,7,-1,0,0,1,1)"
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    background = "resbmp(12235, 7,-1,0,0,1,1)"
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    </if>
    </if>
    <if id = "atom(Picture)">
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "126rp"
    height = "126rp"
    />
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "48rp"
    height = "48rp"
    accessible = "true"
    accrole = "40"
    accname = "resstr(11400)"
    />
    </if>
    ----------------------------------------
    and delete it. . .

UIFILE\12401\1033>

search for the string
    ----------------------------------
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "190rp"
    height = "190rp"
    />
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "80rp"
    height = "80rp"
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "190rp"
    height = "190rp"
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "80rp"
    height = "80rp"
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    <if selected = "true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "126rp"
    height = "126rp"
    />
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "48rp"
    height = "48rp"
    accessible = "true"
    accrole = "40"
    />
    </if>
    --------------------------------
    and delete it. . .

UIFILE\12402\1033>

search for the string
    ----------------------------------
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "190rp"
    height = "190rp"
    />
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "80rp"
    height = "80rp"
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "190rp"
    height = "190rp"
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "80rp"
    height = "80rp"
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    <if selected = "true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    <if HighDPI="true">
    <ZoomableElement
    />
    </if>
    </if>
    </if>
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "126rp"
    height = "126rp"
    />
    </if>
    <ZoomableElement
    width = "48rp"
    height = "48rp"
    accessible = "true"
    accrole = "40"
    />
    </if>
    -------------------------
    and delete it. . .

Now replace authui.dll in the system32 and sysWOW64 directory. Logoff. Congratulations you've removed that retarded blank tile. I should also add that if you don't emit the elements with atom(Picture*) in them then the user's picture will still show up when they lock the screen with cnt + alt  + del and it looks ugly without a border. Their picture still will show in the start menu. I believe you may have to edit explorer.exe to get rid of that one but I kind of like it.

Of course, if you use the welcome screen instead of the classic login there will be no pictures there either. You can turn the classic screen on instead just follow this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasecurity/thread/0dd3dd73-f192-4c4e-9f02-5b246c6a9ae4

You can remove that accessibility too with this http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Ease-of-Access-disabler.shtml.

As for the background see this post: http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/03/15/windows-7-to-officially-support-logon-ui-background-customization/ It's horrible trying to find sites which offer multiple resolutions for wall paper and also under 256kb (try matching that to a colour scheme.) Have fun with that if you do it. life hacker has also mentioned a program that auto changes the background at set times. CBF to find it.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:26 PM
  • Yes, that works obviously and you can enable the ctrl-alt-del functionality as well. But in that scenario, why would there still be a picture frame????
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:01 PM
  • There is a reg hack out there (at your own risk) if you search for windows classic log on screen windows 7.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:02 PM
  • @RandNerd ... Thanks for this set of instructions.  While I MIGHT implement it, I am concerned that doing so might affect, or be affected by, future updates.  I could envision the scenario where a particular update does not work because these files have been edited, and they no longer have the expected size, timestamp or crc check.  Alternatively, I could see needing to redo this resource hacking because a future update overwrote the changes.

Ideally, this is something Microsoft should attend to, but as this has been unchanged since Vista, I doubt anyone at MS cares enough to do anything about it.

Thanks tho.

Window 7 Home Premium Retail - 64-bit version --- Dual Booting With --- Windows XP Professional - 32-bit version =========================================================== PC: Custom-built, SuperMicro MB - Dual Nocona Processors - 800 MHz FSB - 6GB DDR2 RAM - Approximately 5TB of internal storage on six assorted (Seagate and WD) drives using 3ware RAID Solution - ATI FireGL 7100 Video Card
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Please help, I did what you say and changed the registry value and now I cannot login, it says user: The user name or password is incorrect. I know I am using the correct password and user name!

Thanks,

G.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:00 AM
  • HOw did you change the login page's background to black? Can I change the background into a different picture too?
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:38 AM
  • don't think the above step works for me. all i get is a black screen with an arrow and nothing else.  both authui.dll has been replaced with the new dll file in their respective folder/directories.

any further ideas?

Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:26 PM