Showing group with Limited Access when viewing permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I am curious about the groups that are shown when viewing the the Site Settings > Advanced Permissions page on any site.  I have a site collection (Intranet) that consists of a number of subsites.  In one of the subsites, I created an SP group with Contribute permissions to that one particular list could have this unique group of contributors.  What I don't understand is this group shows up in the top level sites  permissions, however with Limited Access.  Since all the subsites inherite from the parent, they also show this group but with Limited Access.  What I don't understand is why this group even is displayed in a site's permissions at all in the other sites?  I find it really confusing because it seems to imply that that group has some sort of permissions in all these other sites.  Thanks for any forthcoming explanation.
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is the very nature of SP groups in that they are available for use within that site collection only. Whilst the visibility of SP group is present at the top level site it is for reference that this is used somewhere in the site collection. Also it can be reused elsewhere albeit with different permission level(s).

-- techChirag
    • Marked as answer by Paul Galvin Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:19 PM

All replies