Word 2010 Printing on Both Sides option missing under Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Our Windows XP clients are missing the option for changing the print settings to "Print on Both Sides" in Word 2010. The only options available are: "Print One Sided" and "Manually Print on Both Sides".
    The Windows 7 (32 and 64 bits) clients have all options. The problem seems to be unrelated to printerdrivers as all our network printers have the same problem and Windows 7 32bit is using the same driver as Windows XP.

How can I get the option available under XP?

Best regards,
    Danny Quak
    Wageningen University

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:10 AM

Answers

• Microsoft Premier Support helped us out. The problem was a missing c:\windows\system32\prntvpt.dll

Apparently our deployment of .Net 3.5 SP1 did not include this file. A deinstallation followed by a new installation brought the file back and solved the problem. Too bad that Office 2010 does not detect this when it is deployed.

I made a logon script to copy the dll and everyone is able to save the environment by printing on both sides.

Best regards,

Danny Quak
    Wageningen University

• Marked as answer by WUR-DE Friday, March 18, 2011 11:46 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The option "printing on both sides" in an option in the printer properties.

Can you see the option in other programs, such as Notepad? Create a .txt file and click File > Printer, select the printer and click Preferences, check if you can see the option there.

If you are uanble to see the option, it might be related to the printer. What's the model of your printer? Check on the manuafacture's website to see if it supports printing on both sides. If it can,.try to install the latest update for the printer.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Friday, January 28, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Hi Sally,

Thanks for the response!

The standard Printer Properties interface is working normally even in Word 2010, so it is possible to get the document printed on both sides.

The problem is that in Word 2010 when you go to the tab File, that since 2010 under Print shortcuts to the printer settings are available. One of them is the option for Print One Sided/Print On Both Sides/Manually print on both sides. On a Windows XP PC the Print on Both Sides option is missing. On Windows 7 it is OK.

Best regards,

Danny Quak

Friday, January 28, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Update:

Some of our users are reporting that the problem is not always there. Occasionally the Print on Both Sides option is displayed and the next day it is gone.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Hello to everyone,

the problem is present in Windows 7 with Office 2010 (14.0.5128.5000 32 bit) too.

It is the same thing WUR-DE explained: the printer properties interface works well, both one-side or double-side.

In any Office application, under the print options, untill yesterday I had 4 options: Print on one side, print on both sides (flip on long edge / flip on short edge), print on both sides manually.

Today, the two "print on both sides" options disappeared.

I don't seem to have installed any inherent update. The last Office updates were installed a week ago.

Then I discovered that the manifacturer of my printer released some days ago a new version of the drivers. By reinstalling them, the option reappeared.

So I suggest trying drivers from the manufacturer site and not the Windows 7 default.

• Proposed as answer by Haldo83 Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by WUR-DE Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:05 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi Haldo,

Thanks for the suggestion, but we don't use Windows 7 default drivers. We only use the latest drivers from Ricoh and HP. I think it is a time-out problem in Office 2010 communicating with the printer and not getting back in time the options the printer has.

I have tested on a W7 PC today and saw that in Word 2010 at first the "Print One Sided" option was selected and the Print on Both sides option was missing and one second later the option Print on Both sides was added and selected. On Excel and Powerpoint the Print One Sided/Both Sides was completely missing but a second later the Option was added.

On a XP PC it remains the same and the options never get added.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:19 PM
  • We also have a Ricoh (Aficio AP610N).

Coincidence?

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Microsoft Premier Support helped us out. The problem was a missing c:\windows\system32\prntvpt.dll

Apparently our deployment of .Net 3.5 SP1 did not include this file. A deinstallation followed by a new installation brought the file back and solved the problem. Too bad that Office 2010 does not detect this when it is deployed.

I made a logon script to copy the dll and everyone is able to save the environment by printing on both sides.

Best regards,

Danny Quak
    Wageningen University

• Marked as answer by WUR-DE Friday, March 18, 2011 11:46 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 11:46 AM
  • my problem was that the option <Print on Both Sides> was not available in Word. But installing the suggested dll file solved the problem. Thanks WUR-DE
    • Edited by Kaiyovu Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:52 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:37 PM
  • hi,

I had same issue with couple of XP based workstations.

After downloading prntvpt.dll and registering it, solved the problem.

Great help!!

Cheers

PrazAU

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Thanks, menu print on both sides appeared
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 7:32 AM