none
Unable to install IE11 group policy templates to windows server 2008r2 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings:

I am trying to install the IE11 group policy templates to windows server 2008r2 per KB2841134. I have downloaded zip file, extracted files and used the elevated command prompt per the KB2841134 article:

1. From an elevated command prompt, use the following command to update the inetres.admx file:   

• copy /y %WINDIR%\KB2841134\inetres.admx          %SYSTEMROOT%\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx

This fails with an "access denied" notation. running command prompt in elevated mode ("run as administrator"). I have unblocked the file as it was copied to the server from a workstation where the original download was performed.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 6:43 PM

Answers

• Greetings:

I am trying to install the IE11 group policy templates to windows server 2008r2 per KB2841134. I have downloaded zip file, extracted files and used the elevated command prompt per the KB2841134 article:

1. From an elevated command prompt, use the following command to update the inetres.admx file:   

• copy /y %WINDIR%\KB2841134\inetres.admx          %SYSTEMROOT%\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx

This fails with an "access denied" notation. running command prompt in elevated mode ("run as administrator"). I have unblocked the file as it was copied to the server from a workstation where the original download was performed.

you must "take ownership" of the existing INETRES.ADMX file and also INETRES.ADML file, since by default these files are owned by TrustedInstaller and permissions are not granted to Administrators (this is an artefact of the Windows setup processes).
    After you take ownership, you can grant yourself permissions, to be able to replace the files.

Similar issue as discussed here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1c384faf-bebd-4a56-ace6-23e853b7b0eb/policy-definition-corrupted?forum=winserverGP

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bac54114-54d7-472b-969d-9b08f28dbba9/error-when-selecting-administrative-template-in-any-gpo?forum=winserverGP

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Big Moose Monday, January 5, 2015 12:31 AM
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:10 PM

All replies

• Can you browse %SYSTEMROOT%\PolicyDefinitions\ ?

Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Yes I can. The problem actually appears to be gaining access to the downloaded files. If I use xcopy, the "access denied" message comes up with the downloaded folder.
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:16 PM
  • What if you just copy them without command-line?
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:41 PM
  • Tried that.........."access denied by trustedinstaller"
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:44 PM
  • Try to reset security permissions / take ownership, on %WINDIR%\KB2841134\

Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:46 PM
  • Greetings:

you must "take ownership" of the existing INETRES.ADMX file and also INETRES.ADML file, since by default these files are owned by TrustedInstaller and permissions are not granted to Administrators (this is an artefact of the Windows setup processes).
    After you take ownership, you can grant yourself permissions, to be able to replace the files.

Similar issue as discussed here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1c384faf-bebd-4a56-ace6-23e853b7b0eb/policy-definition-corrupted?forum=winserverGP

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bac54114-54d7-472b-969d-9b08f28dbba9/error-when-selecting-administrative-template-in-any-gpo?forum=winserverGP

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Big Moose Monday, January 5, 2015 12:31 AM
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:10 PM
  • Thanks very much! That did the trick. Too bad this type of information in not included with the instructions that are included with the download. It would have saved hours of frustration. Thanks again.
    Monday, January 5, 2015 12:33 AM