Why doesn't High Contrast allow CSS Images to appear properly & Why Can't Office 2007 colours change like everything else? RRS feed

• Question

• I find that staring at the bright LCD screen for a on time causes my eyes to get tired, I chose to use a high contrast mode to change the colours.  However, once you go into High Contast mode, you can no longer see CSS background images which essentially renders any webpage that you might want to visit a horrible experience.  Buttons, images, pictures, icons will be missing because they all use the same CSS method.

The question is, can this be enabled in High Contrast Mode?

I have tried to set up a "High Contrast Mode" using the "Windows Classic" colours, but unfortunately, there are some colours that it doesn't let you change (ie border lines, which appear as bright white lines, which almost are as annoying as the initial white backgrounds).  And, in this mode, you cannot change the colours of Microsoft Office 2007.  You can only choose from the 3 colour schemes Microsoft provided.  Why Microsoft would limit you, in their flagship office software, to three schemes is beyond me.  Why can't they follow their own rules, allowing people to colour things the way they want?  And there are liinks, that appear in Outlook (such as on your calendar page "How to share your calendar") that don't even adhere to colour changes.

If I go into High Contrast mode, my CSS disappears, and I CAN change SOME of the colours in Outlook... not all of course.  And, I can't change the colour of incoming emails.  Which, I  really are the ones I need to see the most.  I really don't care the Bob in financing likes dark blue text, I want it to appear as grey on black, because I find it easier to read.... dark blue on black isn't.  But again, CSS becomes broken, and things don't display.

This should work better... If there are any suggestions as to making it work better, that would be great.  I think the high-contrast modes become pretty ineffectual if you cannot view most of the web sites out there when you enable them, or the colour scheme that your Office programs provide do not adhere to the system colour scheme, or, allow you to change ALL the colours you need to change.

If someone has a work around, that would be great.

Don't believe everything you read.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I agree it is better to configure High Contrast mode to work properly with CSS. However, as far as I know, the present viable method is to modify the CSS content.

Please check the following links. Hope it helps.

http://hardlikesoftware.com/weblog/2009/11/04/css-sprites-vs-high-contrast-mode/

http://www.artzstudio.com/2010/04/img-sprites-high-contrast/

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 25, 2011 6:40 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if the hotkey of Alt+Shift+PrintScrn to reload the page can fix the issue.

If the CSS is not compatible with High Contrast Mode, I suggest contacting CSS forum to change its content.

http://forums.asp.net/130.aspx/1?HTML+CSS+and+JavaScript

Regarding Outlook color scheme, there are three (Blue, Silver or Black) by default. However, you can download more schemes by yourself. To get more information about this, please contact Office Forum.

TechNet Office Forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/word/threads

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:28 AM
  • That's a handy shortcut, but it just goes into a High Contrast Mode, and makes the CSS not work right.  THere is an option in the Accessibility Options to hide background images, but this has no effect on the CSS.

I doubt that we would be able to get every website out there to change their CSS content to work properly in High Contrast mode.  It makes more sense for the makers of the High Contrast mode to modify their settings, or allow users to turn the CSS background images back on.  Don't you think?

I haven't read or heard anything about alternative themes for Office 2007, but I will check in the Office Forum.

Thank you

Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Hi,

I agree it is better to configure High Contrast mode to work properly with CSS. However, as far as I know, the present viable method is to modify the CSS content.

Please check the following links. Hope it helps.

http://hardlikesoftware.com/weblog/2009/11/04/css-sprites-vs-high-contrast-mode/

http://www.artzstudio.com/2010/04/img-sprites-high-contrast/

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 25, 2011 6:40 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:27 AM
  • That's not a real solution though is it?

I mean, it's a solution if I am MAKING a website, but my concern is viewing other people's websites.  I don't know how I can, as a website loads, go through it and convert all the background images into sprites, and then be able to view them. Maybe using GreaseMonkey or Firefly or something might work, but I don't really program that much, so I would be at a loss as to how to make it work for every webpage that I go to.

I appreciate the suggestions!

Thanks

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:23 PM