none
Change MailTips options

Question

• where in GPO can we set MailTips options?    By default "display automatically when MailTips appy" is checked.  We need to change this to "Display at all times"   Where is this GPO setting?  

mqh7

Monday, June 20, 2016 7:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I did some research regarding your requirement but cannot find such a GPO. The only MailTips setting related GPO is “Disable Mail Tips”.

In Group Policy, the setting is found under User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Outlook 2013\Outlook Options\Preferences\E-mail Options.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff631135.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_MailTips

Here is a workaround which may be helpful in this case:

Process Monitor allows you to monitor file and registry activity of various processes.

Changing the MailTips option in Outlook and using Process Monitor to trace the related registry change.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:24 AM
  • Alvin Wang, thank you for the reply.  I did what you suggested, I used Procman and then filtered my results.  I found the key Outlook is modifying.   hkcu\software\microsoft\office\15.0\perf\RoamingStreamsCache\a12bd964e571484298998665b9cb31dc2   there is a key called WriterId that has a Hex number.   

I played around with this a lot and did not like my results.   Here is what happens.   From the Screen Shot I have in the top of this thread I picked different options.  The Hex number changes as you would expect.  But each time I changed it back to "Display at all times" the Hex value was different!!!   So each time you change this option the value changes.  It is not a True/False value.     

(binary conversion of hex data)

Those are a few of the values it got set too.  and if I try to create the key with any one of those vales and then look at my screen shot above it does NOT change it to "display at all times"  

So this does not seem possible to change for all users?!?!   We need to change this on 1,500 workstations so this is an issue.  

Can this be set from our Office 365 Exchange cloud?  How else can this be changed globally?  Thank you.  

mqh7

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your current progress.

Here is the MailTips' settings from Exchange Server side, but seems meaningless to you. 

Configure custom MailTips for recipients

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638199(v=exchg.150).aspx

Still looking for the suitable solution or workaround...

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:45 AM