none
Windows 10 and Pinned items RRS feed

• Question

• Before Windows 10 I used pinned items on my task bar a lot. For IE 11 I had like 20 different websites pinner to the icon.

Now in Windows 10 I can only pin 8.

How do I change this?  In windows 8.1 I could go to properties of the start menu and change the number of allowed items to what ever I wanted?  The tab is no longer there in Windows 10?  So where do I change this?

Thanks,

Terry

Friday, August 28, 2015 5:28 AM

All replies

• In Start Search type in regedit and press OK

Locate the following registry location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

In right-hand column click "Start_JumpListItems" > In the dialogue box click on "DECIMAL" then enter number of jump list entries to have under "VALUE DATA" > press OK > exit regedit.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Friday, August 28, 2015 11:38 PM
  • Already tried that, set it to 40...

Still only get 8.

Have you tried this and had it work?

Terry

Saturday, August 29, 2015 6:14 AM
  • 1. Open Powershell with admin privileges

2. Copy and paste this line at the PS prompt:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Saturday, August 29, 2015 10:09 AM
  • Can you tell me more about this cmdline does? To me it looks like it does something to the Windows store apps? Not sure how that would help with the desktop version of IE and the number of items I can pin to the icon in the taskbar?

Thanks,

Terry

Saturday, August 29, 2015 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

How about your problem now? I checked my testing environments but doesn't find the policy Sengupta mentioned.

On the other hand, it seems like there is no restriction about pining website to taskbar on my Windows 10 system.

For your problem, is there any error message when you pining the website to taskbar failed? Please provide the detailed error message here.

To make further research with this problem, it would be better to use Process Monitor capture the trace of pining website.

You can access to the link below to download Process Monitor:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

How to capture a Process Monitor trace: 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dswl/archive/2010/01/10/how-to-capture-a-process-monitor-trace.aspx

Learning Example:

Using Process Monitor to Troubleshoot and Find Registry Hacks:

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson5/all/

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 8:21 AM
  • I still have the issue... I did not do the cmdline posted above because never got confirmation on what it is supposed to do? Doesn't look like it would affect IE pining.

Also keep in mind I am using IE 11 as default browser not Edge.

No errors, it just wont add additional ones when I drag them to the icon like it does for the first 8.

Terry

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 4:45 PM