none
Block and Reply boilerplate to messages being recieved when a phrase is missing from the subject AND more than one recipient is copied

Question

• Alright so bear with me here on my first post (to my memory) as I try to explain what and why I would like to accomplish logically.

<begin preamble>

We have a ticket system (no details for privacy reasons) who has a system mail address, external to our company exchange system but that we give the same extension. This address cannot be altered and is pretty much untouchable as it's built in and doesn't receive and process emails like normal mailboxes do. Don't worry its not the problem, users as always are, but to understand my question knowing that much is necessary. I will refer to this "email" as the Ticket Address or Ticket Box.

So for our purposes we have an actual exchange shared mailbox that we use as our primary email contact (call it Shared Mailbox), and when users send an email to that mailbox, the exchange server has forwarding enabled to split every email sent to that address both to our systems ticket address and letting it continue on to our exchange mailbox. (Both are important)

The problem comes in when users email our system to open a new ticket, and copy 1 or more other people. This itself doesn't cause a problem, but its when the users or parties copied on that email reply to everyone, and then those users reply to that reply, it creates a new ticket every time clogging up the system with duplicate requests.

We are fine with and actually somewhat rely on BCC our mailbox when forwarding or copy 1 or more external agencies or escalation points with certain issues, and are fine with users copying other users so long as they have a ticket number in the subject line already, then all communication gets recorded in the same ticket and can be reconciled and tracked.

<End Preamble>

The goal of this question here is to ascertain how, if at all, when a user emails our shared mailbox, before the forwarding rule gets triggered, another mail flow rules runs to check IF there is more than one recipient of the email, ANDIF the ticket number prefix (luckily its not just a number in our case for other reasons) is NOT in the subject line, reply to the sender with a canned message. Or in more pseudo-code speak:

IF subject contains <long ticket prefix>

END:Continue to next rule (always valid)

ELSEIF Message has more than one recipient

Reply to sender with canned response; Reject message; Do not process further

ELSEIF Message has only one recipient (the shared mailbox) <and by logical extension no ticket prefix>

END:Continue to next rule

To my mind that ^ makes sense; any email with a ticket number always passes, if it doesn't have a ticket number and has multiple recipients it is always rejected saying why, but if it doesn't have a ticket number and only one recipient it passes.

Before someone suggests it, user awareness has been tried and failed, there are many 1000's of users and most use our system so infrequently they cannot remember that we told them previously. Some multiple repeat offenders are seemingly incapable of learning because copying users is as natural as breathing in all other instances and carries no burden. Most though are doing so the first time, because they have never been informed and there are too many to teach.

Please let me know if this mail flow logic is at all possible.

Thanks.

Friday, March 9, 2018 11:19 PM

All replies

• Hi cne9979,

From your description, we know you want to block the email which doesn’t has a  number and has more than one recipient.

In the mail flow rule, we cannot judge whether it contains more than one recipient. In mail flow rule, we only can judge whether it contains the text in subject and whether it recipient is someone. So, we should modify your mail flow logic as below and check if it meet your requirement:

IF subject contains <long ticket prefix>
         END:Continue to next rule (always valid)

ELSEIF Message has only one recipient (the shared mailbox) 
         END:Continue to next rule

ELSE(this condition is no number and more than one recipient )
         Reply to sender with canned response; Reject message; Do not process further

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 12, 2018 11:18 AM
  • This sounds workable however your message mentions mail flow rules cannot judge whether it contains more than one recipient. While yes we can validate in the ELSEIF that the shared mailbox is the recipient, how do i tell if its the only recipient?

Monday, March 12, 2018 2:02 PM
  • Hi cne9979,

For this question, you can block all mails which from outside the organization, except if the recipient is demo1(change to the mailbox you want), the mail can be received. 

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:46 AM
  • Are you able to define the scope of the organization for one rule?

Almost all emails sent to the mailbox valid or otherwise are from within our organization and use the same mail extension.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:54 PM
  • Hi cne9979,

The scope of the organization is cannot be changed, it's scope is your Exchange organization.

If we set the rule for users in your Exchange organization, all mails will be block except send to the mailbox. Users in your organization will cannot send email to each other.  

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:56 AM
  • That is not a valid answer then as everyone in my organization is completely free to talk to each other, only when contacting that single address without a ticket number do we want to block contact.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 2:02 PM
  • Hi cne9979,

When we send mail to more then on people, the mail is send to those people one by one in the background. So, if we block it, all mails which send to those people will be blocked. The transport rule cannot judge the number of receipt, as a result, it cannot achieve this goal.

We suggest you to the Exchange Development Forum create a new case, we may have a script to achieve your goal.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Thursday, March 15, 2018 2:05 AM
  • Hi cne9979,

Any update now?
    If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Monday, March 19, 2018 2:13 AM