none
unable to connect to website RRS feed

• Question

• I am running windows10 when I click on network access it says I am connected. When I open IE or google chrome I get the circle for 2 to 3 minutes and the message website is not available. this happens on 1 computer only, others in the house work fine. This is a lenovo desktop core I7 connected by ethernet cable

• Edited by td3281 Saturday, October 31, 2015 9:20 PM
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 9:08 PM

Answers

• Found the problem!!!!! The computer had full version of avg purchased at staples. Disabled the avg software and I'm on able to access website. I guess AVG is not compatible with windows. 10

• Proposed as answer by Charles_Wang_Moderator Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by td3281 Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:21 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 4:58 PM

All replies

• message website is not available.

Sounds like a DNS problem.  However, if you use the troubleshooter (e.g. click on the Fix connection problems button in the message) it could be even more specific about that, e.g. by telling you the site appears to exist but is not responding.  Then that would indicate there was a DNS lookup and what was found and used could not be used for some reason.  You really need to diagnose your symptom in detail to know what is wrong in order to know how to tailor your resolution or workaround.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:26 AM
    Answerer
  • I did the fix connection before I did the post and got the message that the site was not responding. I have tried to repair winsock and a couple of other fixes in the cmd admin mode but to no avail. I do remember when I connected the computer to my network the message came up that there was another computer on the network with the same name. Does that make any sense?
    • Edited by td3281 Tuesday, November 3, 2015 1:07 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 1:06 AM
  • Hi,

Have you solved your problem now since you detect the possible reason?

You can change the name and then test the issue.

Please kindly tell us the result.

Best Regards

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:26 AM
  • Still no connection to website yet window at bottom says I have internet access. The other repairs I did were netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log, and netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log How do I change the name that was installed when I installed windows 7 originally before the windows 10 update. This problem started at my friend's house and does the same here. thank you for any suggestions The above were done in cmd prompt admin mode.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 4:02 PM
  • Found the problem!!!!! The computer had full version of avg purchased at staples. Disabled the avg software and I'm on able to access website. I guess AVG is not compatible with windows. 10

• Proposed as answer by Charles_Wang_Moderator Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by td3281 Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:21 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 4:58 PM