Server 2008 R2 hanging at server manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I've an issue with a windows server 2008 R2 machine. This device is relatively underused.

Recently, the server has been hanging whilst performing tasks in the server Manager. For example... clicking on the "server backup" option will result in a 20-25 minute wait before the "reading data" screen completes and I am taken to the backup reports.

Likewise, hitting on the Sharing and Storage admin tool will result in the server hanging at the "Validating server" part.

No new software has been installed on this PC and also according to the task manager performance graphs, the server is not under any heavy load.

Has anyone got any advice on how to reinstall server manager, or otherwise diagnose this problem.

Thanks

***Edit: I have been into msconfig and disabled all non MS services. This has had no effect.***

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hello,

What if you go to Start Menu – Administrative Tools, and click to launch Windows Server Backup and Share and Storage Management from here. Does it still take a very long time to initialize these management consoles?

If you have third-party antivirus software, I’d suggest you uninstall it temporarily for troubleshooting. Then, please test in Safe Mode with Networking and please let us know the result.

Download and run the Windows System Update Readiness Tool from the link below. It will generate the ChecKSUR log under %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log, please post it here. Please also check in C:\Windows\Logs\ServerManager.log for errors and let us know.

System Update Readiness Tool
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Thanks
    Zhang

Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:44 AM