Bad image error for Winamp, Live Mail and MSN Messenger. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Everything was working fine on my Win 7 RC machine until this afternoon.

I havnt installed anything major or really changed much so I dont know why I am suddenly getting errors.

It started with Winamp, the cursor would vibrate when it was open, and I would get the message :"Winamp.exe - Bad Image"

Now I get it with Live Messenger and Live Mail:

"C:\Windows\System32\msnhtml.dll is wither not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error...."

I googled this, and it seems Checkdisk is supposed to fix it.

Well, I did a thorough checkdisk scan, and it is still happening.

Can anyone help me pls?

Thanks.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you mean the old programs files and settings were saved in Windows.old folder before?

If you want to create a Windows.old during the installation of Windows 7, you may choose the Custom Install and choose the old system drive to reinstall Windows 7 without formatting. Then Windows 7 installation will save the old system files to Windows.old. After the installation, you can copy some of the files out from the Windows.old folder.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:05 AM

All replies

• bump
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Winamp and Windows Live first?

If it does not work, I suggest you run System File Checker.

Run System File Checker

========================

1. Click Start button, All Programs and Accessories, right click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator”.

2. Type "SFC     /Scannow" (without quotation marks) and press “Enter”.

If some files cannot be fixed, you run the following command to save the detailed log in Drive C.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >C:\sfcdetails.txt

Now, I suggest you upload it to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:28 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion.

I did as you said, and when I type "scannow", it provided an explanation of what each command, such as Scannow does.

I then did as you said to save the file.

The file was created, but it was totally blank - 0kb with nothing in it.

The error is still happening, as I tried to run Live Mail, and got the usual problem.

I have reinstalled Winamp many times, but no change.

The error is the same as this person is having: (Occurs for Messenger, Live Mail, and Winamp. I think it has to do with any Html content in a client form, browser still works fine).

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/58572d1c-20cd-419c-adf4-639144e0c0ad
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

What about the following steps?

Step 1: Uninstall Winamp and Windows Live software again.

Step 2: Take ownership of the “msnhtml.dll” and change the permission for it

=================================

1.    Refer to C:\Windows\System32.

2.    Right click on “msnhtml.dll” and click “Properties”.

3.    Switch to “Security” tab and click “Advanced” button.

4.    Switch to “Owner” tab and click “Edit…”.

5.    Highlight your user account or administrators group and click “OK” twice to quite the “Advanced Security Settings” dialog box.

6.    On the “Security” tab of “Properties” dialog box, click “Edit…”.

7.    Highlight Administrators group, check the box for “Full control” under “Allow” and click “OK”.

Step 3: Rename “msnhtml.dll” to “msnhtml.old”.

Step 4: Refer to C:\Program Files\Windows Live to delete the Windows Live software folders.

Step 5: Perform the same steps for Winamp and rename the damaged file the "Winamp.exe - Bad Image" error message refers to.

Step 6: Reinstall them to check the issue.

What’s the result?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 16, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Hmmm, I may try your suggestion, however my internet connection is very slow. So re-downloading Winows Live programs will take many hours, but Ill give it a try.

Even before, I unistalled Winamp, searched for winamp, and removed any remaining folders or files referring to it before re-installing, but it didnt help.

One question before I unistall Win Live - I want to keep alll my emails, contacts and folders in Live Mail, how will I do this?
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:53 AM
  • One question before I unistall Win Live - I want to keep alll my emails, contacts and folders in Live Mail, how will I do this?

For how to backup messages and contacts in Windows Live Mail, please refer to the following link.

http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!13185.entry

Good Luck

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:43 AM
  • Ok, backed up.

When I try to remove, the Windows Live Installer gets the same error message and stops working....

I tried first from Control Panel, then manually opening the Installer and selecting Uninstall...
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Hi,

Try this tool, Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to uninstall Windows Live software.

After that, continue the troubleshooting steps to check the issue.

Does it work this time?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, October 19, 2009 8:01 AM
  • OK, I installed the Utility, went and removed all windows live entries except for Movie Maker and Photo Viewer (which work fine).

So, just to test, I hit the mail button on the keyboard, and windows live mail opened up! Pretty poor job of removing it the utility did! Now when I open the utility there is no listing for Mail, Messenger etc, but they still have entries in the Program Files folders.

So the mail opens and  functions as normal (except that I get the error message when ever I try to actaully open an email), but the cleanup utility thinks it has been removed...

Will manually deleting Live Mail folders in Program Files do the job?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:27 AM
  • Windows Installer CleanUp Utility only removes the related registry keys. We still need to delete the related files manually.

Would you please also remove the Windows Live Movie Maker and Photo Viewer? You can reinstall it with other Windows Live software later.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Strange. Here the Winamp, MSN and WLM work fine.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Well they were working fine for me too. Then one day out of the blue this happened.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:43 AM
  • Ok, well I removed the Live Folder.

Now I went to C:/Windows/System32, but there is no "msnhtml.dll" file.....?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Hi,

Try to show the hidden files.

If msnhtml.dll does not exist, I suggest you reinstall Windows Live to check the issue.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:19 AM
  • It still does not seem to exist.

When I ran the Windows Live Installer I get the same error message and it does not work....??

---

EDIT, I re-downloaded the Installer, but the same problem happens.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:44 AM
  • I am sorry to hear that the issue persists.

This time, I suggest you enable the built-in administrator account to install these programs.

Enable the built-in Administrator account

=========================

1. Click the “Start” button, “All Programs” and “Accessories”.

2. Right click “Command Prompt” and select "Run as administrator".

3. Click “Continue” when the “User Account Control” window appears.

4. Type the following command and press “Enter”:

net user administrator /active:yes

Note: To disable the built-in Administrator account, you may run the following commad.

net user administrator /active:no

5. Restart the computer, log on this built-in Administrator account and try to install the programs.

If the issue persists, would you please upload the Screenshot of the symptom and System Information to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing.

How to capture a screenshot

========================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us.

How to collect the System Information

========================

1. Click “Start”, type in “msinfo32” (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose “Save” from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to me.

This time, I suggest you run System File Checker to scan the system files.

4. Send the sfcdetails.txt file in Drive C to us via SkyDrive.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:30 AM
  • Thanks for your continued help.

Unfortunately it still would not install, so I have uploaded the files to Skydrive (Public Folder, is that a good idea?)

I havnt yet run the System File Checker, once I do I will upload the results also and post here.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:58 AM
  • Hi thaFunkster,

Don't forget to provide us the download link of your uploaded files.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:42 AM
  • Sorry about that.

Here is the link"

http://cid-a3f9ed5845e55b07.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Hi,

After reviewing the screenshot, I find that the corrupted file is “mshtml.dll” instead of “msnhtml.dll”. This is why we cannot find out it.

I suggest you perform the above steps again to check the issue.

I have uploaded a good mshtml.dll file to the following link. You may need to replace the corrupted one.

http://cid-49401e22fd9c1bd2.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/mshtml.zip

What's the result?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Ok, sorry I missed that.

Ok, well I took ownership of the file, and still had the error. I will now try replacing it with the new one. Will post back result.
    ---

EDIT:

Ok, well I created a folder to put the old file in, just incase I needed it, or you wanted to view it.

I then cut the file, and tried to paste it to this location.

When I did, i got the message "You need permission from Stephan-PC/Stephan to move this file"

Well, that's the exact account I was using, I had taken ownership of the file and restarted, but I still get this message, very frustrating given that I am that user account....
    It wont let me delete it either

The saga continues...

Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:10 AM
  • Hi,

You may try the following command to transfer the good “mshtml.dll” file to C:\Windows\System32 folder by Command Prompt in WinRE.

Copy     {file location}    %windir%\system32

Note: Replace {file location} with the real location of the good “mshtml.dll” file.

Hope it works this time!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:49 AM
  • Thanks for the solution, but Im afraid the problem persists!

Just to check I did the right thing, as it was slightly complicated:

I unzipped the good copy to C:\

To complicate things, I am running a partition on my HDD. One has Win7 on it, the other has Win XP on it.

When I start Win7, the Win7 partition is called C, and the other D

When I start XP, the XP partition is called C and the other D.

So I restarted, went to repair, command prompt.

At first I tried copy C:\... and it said file not found. So I tried "Copy D"\..... and it said "one file replaced succesfully".

So then I restarted, booted up Win 7, and tried to run the WLSetup program only to be greeted by the same error message.

I will try deleting my old WLsetupinstaller programs, and downloading a new one, but I doubt it will help....

Will post back if it does.

----

EDIT: No, no change I am afraid! This is the type of luck I am having with equipment lately!
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:02 AM
  • I am really sorry to hear that it still cannot work. You may perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system totally.

1.    Start the computer.

2.    Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3.    Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

a. If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

b. If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

b1. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK. Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b2. Click Install now.

4.    When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:17 AM
  • You will never beleive what happened..

I went to the install, got the latest install updates, selected upgrade, and then the error window came up again!

I am thinking that I will just have to backup my files and then format this drive and reinstall windows from there.

I did this once before when I put a new motherboard in, and it saved my old Program Files and settings, what do I have to do to ensure this happens?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean the old programs files and settings were saved in Windows.old folder before?

If you want to create a Windows.old during the installation of Windows 7, you may choose the Custom Install and choose the old system drive to reinstall Windows 7 without formatting. Then Windows 7 installation will save the old system files to Windows.old. After the installation, you can copy some of the files out from the Windows.old folder.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:05 AM
  • But it wont let me install over the existing win 7 parition, so the only way I will be able to install is to format the drive first correct?

THere are a lot of files and programs that I want to backup before I format, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:39 AM
  • If you format the current system drive, all the data will be removed. In addition, the programs cannot be backed up. You need to reinstall them later. For the other files, just transfer them from the system drive to other drive to avoid data loss.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:20 AM
  • Ok thanks for the information.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but I have a free external hard drive, is there any way I can backup my programs and files there before I format?

Ta.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:01 PM