Create alert in Sharepoint 2010 with read permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

On our Intranett we want to avoid the "common" emails to everyone and rather let user subscribe to the information they want themself through alerts, but it seems difficult to do this. All of our default users have read permissions in Sharepoint.

My question:

Is it possible to provide easier access to "Alert me" in Sharepoint 2010?

With read permissions, the "Site Actions" is hidden and users with this permisson cannot access the Ribbon. As far as I can tell the only way to create an alert for these users is to know the URL to the list setting and create the alert from there. Typically this URL is: http://Site/Pages/Forms/AllItems.aspx. In here they can access Library Tools.

Any help appreciated!

Regards.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:19 AM Yet another off-topic SP 2010 post (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:01 AM

Answers

• Users with "read" permission do have access to the ribbon within lists and libraries.  If you go to the allitems page as you noted, this is the default form for the list (not the list settings page) and the ribbon should contain two tabs ("Items" and "List").  On the List tab, users with read permission should be able to click on the Alert Me button to create an alert for themselves or to manage their existing alerts.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:19 PM