none
Unique 3 week schedule rotation RRS feed

• Question

• we utilize a 3 week rotation for our field crews

first week is tues thru sat @ 10 hrs/day

sun off

Second week is mon thru sat @ 10 hrs/day

sun off

third week is our crew's travel week ( they return to their home for 4 -day weekend), they work mon thru thurs @ 10 hrs/day

fri, sat sun & mon off

then the cycle restarts

what is the easiest way to set-up this cycle for a project schedule

Friday, October 28, 2011 3:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Jerry,

It may not be all that terrible :-).  Assuming you are using Project 2007 or Project 2010:

Set the Default work week to be Monday - Saturday 10 hours per day.

Then create the following exceptions:

Mondays - Non-working every 3 weeks repeating until the end of the year (or however long you need).  This creates the Tuesday through Saturday schedule.

Start two weeks after the Monday exception create an exception for Friday and Saturday with those days non-working every 3 weeks.  This creates the Tuesday through Thursday working week.

I think that should take care of it.

I started the Monday exception on Oct 3

So: week of Oct 3 is Tuesday through Saturday

week of Oct 10 is Monday through Saturday

Week of Oct 17 is the first occurence of the Friday Saturday exception and I have working time on Monday through Thursday.

Week of Oct 24th is back to Tuesday through Saturday with the Monday exception

Week of Oct 31 is Monday through Saturday

Week of Nov 7 is Monday through Thursday.

I believe that should work.

Julie

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:59 PM

All replies

• I would create a calendar which would show the cycles you are describing.  If the entire project schedule works this way, use the calendar for the project calendar and the resource calendars.   The calendar would need to be created manually defining the working and non-working days and times.  If you are using 2010, the project calendar will become the default resource calendar.  If you are using earlier versions, you will need to adjust the resource calendar. 

Other things you should know.

All Gantt charts and the usage views are set up to show the Standard calendar.  If you create a new calendar (not called Standard) you will need to go to Timescale --> Non-working time and adjust which calendar is viewed in each of the views.  If possible, adjust the Standard calendar to avoid changing each view.

You might want to save the newly created calendar in the Global.mpt for use in future projects.

Hope this helps.

Ellen Lehnert, MVP, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com
    Friday, October 28, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Jerry,

The term "easiest" is relative. If I had to do this for a year long schedule I'd probably code up the work calendar sequence in VBA and run it to set up the custom calendar and working time options. However, unless you know Project VBA your best bet is to manually set up each 3 week rotation.

Unfortunately your recurrence pattern does not match a variance of the standard calendar, otherwise you could make use of the recurring exception feature of Project's Change Working Time settings.

Ellen gave some of the other details and things to consider.

John

Friday, October 28, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Thanks for the help. I'll try to set-up a template (Global.mpt) for re-use on future projects. I think I was doing it the 'easiest' way (Ellen's process), which seems like a lot of 'hard' way putting a square peg in the round hole. Appreciate the input!
    jerry stiffey
    Friday, October 28, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Hi Jerry,

It may not be all that terrible :-).  Assuming you are using Project 2007 or Project 2010:

Set the Default work week to be Monday - Saturday 10 hours per day.

Then create the following exceptions:

Mondays - Non-working every 3 weeks repeating until the end of the year (or however long you need).  This creates the Tuesday through Saturday schedule.

Start two weeks after the Monday exception create an exception for Friday and Saturday with those days non-working every 3 weeks.  This creates the Tuesday through Thursday working week.

I think that should take care of it.

I started the Monday exception on Oct 3

So: week of Oct 3 is Tuesday through Saturday

week of Oct 10 is Monday through Saturday

Week of Oct 17 is the first occurence of the Friday Saturday exception and I have working time on Monday through Thursday.

Week of Oct 24th is back to Tuesday through Saturday with the Monday exception

Week of Oct 31 is Monday through Saturday

Week of Nov 7 is Monday through Thursday.

I believe that should work.

Julie

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:59 PM