none
My Vista Home Premium SP1 Acer Aspire laptop : no wallpaper, no desktop icons (just black) no Start Menu and restore points have all been deleted by whatever is the problem RRS feed

• Question

• When I reboot it reads: system monitor settings missing or something
    help please

I'll try write the exact message when I reboot, and report back here

Additional Info:  it's Vista with SP1 not 2, I heard not to install it

the message the system gives me:
    Event Monitor User Notification Tool has Stopped Working.

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: IAAnotif.exe
      Application Version: 7.8.0.1013
      Application Timestamp: 47041a21
      Fault Module Name: ISDI.dll
      Fault Module Version: 7.8.0.1013
      Fault Module Timestamp: 47041627
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Offset: 00016563
      OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: fd00
      Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
      Additional Information 3: fd00
      Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Booting from F8 will bring me back to the last automatic update from Microsoft, yesterday,..... right like it's a good working day

Bob413 where can I get a copy of RC for Windows7?
    • Edited by calmier Friday, August 7, 2009 10:53 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 10:47 AM

Answers

• I had this happen to me about 2 weeks ago.  I had recently upgraded to vista SP2 hoping it would fix the multitude of problems I had with vista.  It seemed a LITTLE more stable for a couple weeks.  Then one day I tried to turn on my desktop and...a black screen.  I didn't see the message you mentioned "system monitor settings missing."  But it would go through the normal boot process, you would see the Vista screen.  And then when I would normally see the login screen, just a black screen with nothing.  I couldn't do anything.  You can search the web for black screen of death and you will find a bunch of ideas.  None of them worked for me, I just wasted my entire weekend trying them all.  Microsoft's suggestion was to install a parallel copy of vista.  Ya...I'll get right on that...just install the same piece of ____ again.  I downloaded the RC for windows 7 and I've been VERY happy with it.  The RC of 7 is MUCH more stable and reliable than vista, vista SP1 or SP2.  Microsoft needs to give everyone a free upgrade from Vista to 7!!
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:45 PM

All replies

• I had this happen to me about 2 weeks ago.  I had recently upgraded to vista SP2 hoping it would fix the multitude of problems I had with vista.  It seemed a LITTLE more stable for a couple weeks.  Then one day I tried to turn on my desktop and...a black screen.  I didn't see the message you mentioned "system monitor settings missing."  But it would go through the normal boot process, you would see the Vista screen.  And then when I would normally see the login screen, just a black screen with nothing.  I couldn't do anything.  You can search the web for black screen of death and you will find a bunch of ideas.  None of them worked for me, I just wasted my entire weekend trying them all.  Microsoft's suggestion was to install a parallel copy of vista.  Ya...I'll get right on that...just install the same piece of ____ again.  I downloaded the RC for windows 7 and I've been VERY happy with it.  The RC of 7 is MUCH more stable and reliable than vista, vista SP1 or SP2.  Microsoft needs to give everyone a free upgrade from Vista to 7!!
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:45 PM
  • i WISH MICROSOFT COULD GIVE EVER ONE WHO GOT WINDOW VISTA A FREE UPGRADE TO WINDOW 7....BUT THERE CANT :-(
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:19 PM
  • I cannot download from Microsoft site or most others looks like the crash of the event program crash any suggestions? I cannot find my disks to do a boot and repair when this. Is solved Ill make a few copies. Then apply for the cheaper copy of windows 7 I heard would ne offered to Vista users. Sure hope that rumor is true
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:36 PM