Can someone explain to me how install multple Applications work. RRS feed

• Question

• I have deployed an OSD base windows 7 no applications.

I would like to install a few application right after the operating system has been laid down.

I see as part of the ts I can install multiple applications, but I am not quite sure how to go about it.

The Applications I would like to install are as follows

App001 is Adobe CS55

App002 will be Office 2010

In ts how do I define this, I am not quite sure how to do this using the install multiple applications feature.

Can someone explain this?

Sunday, February 5, 2012 4:40 PM

Answers

• Check this post, there is a step by step example http://blog.coretech.dk/kea/installing-multiple-applications-using-variables/
    Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 5:36 PM
  • the advantage is grouping, ie: a group of computers (in a collection) that share a common ground other than being in the collection, such as all Sales people will get the following apps by default

1. adobe reader

2. Microsoft OneNote

3. Microsoft Project

installing one app at a time doesn't 'care' about what group (ie: collection) you are a member of,

if you want another take on this you can get dynamic and install apps based on Security Group membership as I demonstrate here:-

How can I install multiple applications based on Active Directory Security Group membership in a Task Sequence
    Dynamic application Installation

Step by Step ConfigMgr 2007 Guides
    Step by Step ConfigMgr 2012 Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:52 AM
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Adding too what Kent and Niall says, here is my take on this!

advantage of running multi apps using a base variable:

1. You only need one step in the TS, the rest is handled in the Collections

2. The packages are not refrenced by the TS, making it possible to run the TS in a location where the packages are not avalible.

Disadvantages:

1. Trouble shooting package errors are more dificult

2. You can not run setps like reboot, map drives etc. between installations. 

3. Removing a package from the install could take time, as you would have to change the numbering

4. Making sure packages are available where they are needed, is more work, as they are not referenced by the TS.

An alternative solution, is to make TS groups, with the software you want to run, and then set options on these groups, to only run if a collection variable is present.

Michael Petersen | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/author/mip/ and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @OSDeploy | Linkedin: Michael Petersen
    Monday, February 6, 2012 7:48 AM

All replies

• Check this post, there is a step by step example http://blog.coretech.dk/kea/installing-multiple-applications-using-variables/
    Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Thanks Kent,

What is the difference off doing multiple installations, using the multiple installation feature VS just using the install software feature in a TS, and then putting them all in there one after the other.

I am really trying to understand the upside of  using the multiple installation feature SCCM offers.

Sunday, February 5, 2012 9:01 PM
  • the advantage is grouping, ie: a group of computers (in a collection) that share a common ground other than being in the collection, such as all Sales people will get the following apps by default

1. adobe reader

2. Microsoft OneNote

3. Microsoft Project

installing one app at a time doesn't 'care' about what group (ie: collection) you are a member of,

if you want another take on this you can get dynamic and install apps based on Security Group membership as I demonstrate here:-

How can I install multiple applications based on Active Directory Security Group membership in a Task Sequence
    Dynamic application Installation

Step by Step ConfigMgr 2007 Guides
    Step by Step ConfigMgr 2012 Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Adding too what Kent and Niall says, here is my take on this!

advantage of running multi apps using a base variable:

1. You only need one step in the TS, the rest is handled in the Collections

2. The packages are not refrenced by the TS, making it possible to run the TS in a location where the packages are not avalible.

Disadvantages:

1. Trouble shooting package errors are more dificult

2. You can not run setps like reboot, map drives etc. between installations. 

3. Removing a package from the install could take time, as you would have to change the numbering

4. Making sure packages are available where they are needed, is more work, as they are not referenced by the TS.

An alternative solution, is to make TS groups, with the software you want to run, and then set options on these groups, to only run if a collection variable is present.

Michael Petersen | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/author/mip/ and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @OSDeploy | Linkedin: Michael Petersen
    Monday, February 6, 2012 7:48 AM