Opening FTP site Via File Explorer Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I use these steps:

To create a shortcut to open an FTP site in Windows Explorer

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Computer.

2. Right-click anywhere in the folder, and then click Add a Network Location.

3. This displays the Add Network Connection wizard. Click Next.

4. In the wizard, select Choose a custom network location, and then click Next.

5. Enter the name of the FTP site, with the full FTP:// in front of it, and then click Next.

6. To use a name and password, clear the Log on anonymously check box. Type a user name, and then click Next.

7. By default, the name of the shortcut is the same as the FTP address. If you want to give the shortcut a different name, type it in the Type a name for this network location box. Click Next.

8. If you do not want the FTP site to open after you're done setting up the shortcut, clear the Open this network location when I click Finish check box. Click Finish. A shortcut to the FTP site appears in the Computer folder. You can drag that shortcut to your desktop so that it's easy to find later.

I use my phone as FTP server and connect to PC via Router.

These step working perfectly in WIn7. But since i upgraded to Win10. I am not able to open the FTP site into File Explorer. FTP site opening perfectly in Browser. I also tried View> Open FTP in File Explorer. But nothing happened after clicking that link option. 

Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:11 AM

All replies

• Did you check the firewall ? Is FTP allowed ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:42 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer to this similar thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/89c97c12-874f-471b-8af3-5f21eaa5f905/cant-open-ftp-site-in-file-explorer?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by arnavsharma Wednesday, December 23, 2015 2:39 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 8:48 AM
  • Those are for Win7 not for Win10. 

Earlier i was able to create FTP shortcut in Win7 perfectly using above step.

But i upgraded to Win10. And in win10 when we create FTP shortcut using above steps that didnt work.

Sunday, November 22, 2015 3:20 AM
  • Firewall ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, November 23, 2015 12:21 AM
  • I turnoff the firewall but still same problem..
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:21 AM
  • Friday, November 27, 2015 2:30 AM
  • I am already using desktop. But its not working for me.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:59 AM
  • I am already using desktop. But its not working for me.

There is a new build of Windows 10 released, please sign in with the Microsoft account to check and install it to see if it could resolve your issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 4, 2015 8:50 AM
  • I am already at latest build....
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:26 AM