none
Standard Client Upgrade task sequence - no operating systems RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a special type of OS image for upgrades?

I've had plenty of success in the past deploying Windows 10 Pro via MDT. I've used WSUS to perform feature upgraes in the past, but I wanted to try just upgrading to 1709 through MDT.

The walkthrough at this link seems to show a straightforward process.  Armed with the latest version of MDT (8443), 1709 volume media, and  the latest ADK, I imported the OS images, then used DISM to perform some cleanup.

The trouble came when I tried to create a "standard client upgrade task sequence".  On the screen where you're supposed to select an operating system, the list was blank.   Not only was the 1709 image missing, none of the OS images I've used for deployment appeared in the list. 

If I try a "standard client task sequence" (i.e. for an initial OS deployment), all of the OS images appear.    MDT clearly thinks they aren't suitable for upgrade, but I haven't been able to find a reason why. 

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 2:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Did you include the source files when importing the WIM file (your post is somewhat unclear on this)? The client upgrade process relies on the setup.exe to drive the installation.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:40 PM
  • I didn't import a WIM in this case.  I mounted the volume ISO and imported from the root of the mount point. Since it was a multi-OS package it created several "Operating systems" for each of the different versions. Even though I only care about one of them, not of them appears.   Setup.exe is in the folder MDT created on the deployment share.
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:05 PM
  • I didn't import a WIM in this case.  I mounted the volume ISO and imported from the root of the mount point. Since it was a multi-OS package it created several "Operating systems" for each of the different versions. Even though I only care about one of them, not of them appears.   Setup.exe is in the folder MDT created on the deployment share.

Got it. However, I can't reproduce your issue with the Windows 10 1709 Ent DVD downloaded from the VLSC. Which DVD are you using and where did you downloaded it from?

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 3:01 PM
  • It is the same ISO downloaded from the VLSC.  It is packaged with all of the different (edu, PRo, Ent, N, etc) versions.

SW_DVD5_Win_Pro_Ent_Edu_N_10_1709_64BIT_English_MLF_X21-50143.ISO

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 3:05 PM
  • https://keithga.wordpress.com/2017/11/15/windows-1709-in-place-upgrade-bug/

Wait until the next version of MDT drops.

Daniel Vega

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:44 PM
  • I'm not sure that applies at all. The blog describes something that happens while a task sequence is executing, but I can't even create the task sequence, since there are no operating systems to select.
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:49 PM
  • I understand but you still won't be able to do an in place upgrade even if you created your task sequence and you'll very likely need to build new task sequences (since the template will likely be updated) when the new MDT is released. Essentially you'll be wasting time now to build a task sequence that is going to fail.

Daniel Vega

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:52 PM
  • Do you have your OS in a folder or at the root of Operating Systems? There's another bug that causes your OS to not be displayed if it's in a folder.

Daniel Vega

• Proposed as answer by Anton Romanyuk Thursday, November 30, 2017 6:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Spencer Simpson Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Spencer Simpson Friday, November 16, 2018 9:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:57 PM
  • That was it. I put a link to that OS in the root folder, and the task sequence wizard saw it.

Do you have a link to information about that bug?

At least it's consistent -- When I went into the task sequence properties and browsed the OS to import, the folders still didn't appear.  What's perplexing is why this doesn't work for the standard client task sequence -- don't they use the same dialog for that?

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:02 PM
  • It'll be fixed in the next version along with other bugs...that's why it's better to just wait.

https://connect.microsoft.com/ConfigurationManagervnext/feedback/details/3130435/standard-client-upgrade-task-sequence-cannot-browse-to-os-in-sub-folder

Daniel Vega

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Or just use WSUS as I have done in the past and deal with the mess afterwards.  
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:23 PM