none
Formatting a bootable USB for UEFI and Legacy Bios machines. RRS feed

• Question

• Please bear with me, as I pieced MDT together via blogs such as this. My deployments are going just fine, with minor issues resolved along the way. Presently, I have two USB drives....one for all makes/models we have, for standard Legacy Bios. I create the boot files when I update the Deploy Share and format my USB as NTFS, using Bootsect.exe /nt60 X: for the partition. All is fine.
    I have another USB for our Surface models. It is also x64, but I 'copy WinPE amd64 media' and MakeMedia..... (I'm currently not at my desk). I do this because I am not sure how to make one USB that boots to UEFI and Legacy. I have two Deploy Shares...where one USB boots to one TS and the 2nd to the other. I need to combine this all to UEFI now since our Dell pc's are coming in needing UEFI. I can keep one stick at UEFI for the Surface TS....but one other for everything else.
    I need a good link to creating a USB that boots to one TS, and i can mess with the format option in MDT to format these few models as UEFI. I just don't know how to create the USB.
    Monday, June 26, 2017 8:39 PM

Answers

• For anyone wanting to know, this works for me:

copype amd64 c:\WinPE_amd64

That creates a folder on C: containing all the system filed needed.

MakeWinPEMedia /UFD c:\WinPE_amd64 X:

This formats the USB as bootable, using the system files in that C: where X: is the USB drive.

Lastly, I copy the LiteTouchPE_x64.WIM file that MDT creates when updating the Deploy Share, and place the WIM in the Sources folder on the USB.
    That is it. Then it will correctly boot up both UEFI and Legacy BIOS units.

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:30 PM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:30 PM

All replies

• This is supported natively in the boot images.  Typically I create my MDT boot images and then use Z-Zip to extract the ISO to a FAT32 formatted USB Flash Drive.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 9:34 PM
  • For anyone wanting to know, this works for me:

copype amd64 c:\WinPE_amd64

That creates a folder on C: containing all the system filed needed.

MakeWinPEMedia /UFD c:\WinPE_amd64 X:

This formats the USB as bootable, using the system files in that C: where X: is the USB drive.

Lastly, I copy the LiteTouchPE_x64.WIM file that MDT creates when updating the Deploy Share, and place the WIM in the Sources folder on the USB.
    That is it. Then it will correctly boot up both UEFI and Legacy BIOS units.

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:30 PM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:30 PM