Collection of systems with no configured boundaries RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have systems in our console that are not in configured boundaries because other teams have installed SCCM agents. So I need a query to exclude all systems NOT within configured boundaries.

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:43 PM

Answers

• I create a collection of all machines that do not have the client installed. Then I create a report that lists the IP of all those systems. From there I can generally spot trends to notice that someone has added a new subnet without telling me.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Sunday, December 28, 2014 3:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 3, 2015 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:16 PM

All replies

• There's no way to track or see this from the server side because it's a client's responsibility to check boundaries and do the right thing and this info ins not returned to the server.

Depending upon the boundary types, you can use the IP Address information returned from heartbeat discovery or hardware inventory and create a query to check whether that IP (or subnet) is in the boundary. This is not necessarily definitive though as client's may move around but it should be close.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Can you add more detail..

As per my understanding you have other teams' systems in SCCM console (which means they are not assigned / managed by your SCCM server). In that case, you have to check the Discovery methods under Site Management on the SCCM console. See if the Active Directory System Group discovery and Active Directory System discovery are added with the OUs of those other team machines.

Specify only those groups that you use with Configuration Manager. You can edit/remove the other teams' OUs from the discovery methods.. If required you may have to work with the AD team if you like to bifurcate your teams' clients and other teams' clients to different OUs.

Ref.:

~ Räjeésh M | Blog: ScorpITs | Please remember to 'Mark as Answer' or 'Vote as Helpful' on the post that helps. It helps others reading the thread and recognizes useful contributions.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Here are some details and I completely understand that working with the other teams to fix their processes is the way to go.... however. This is a 1500+ location and 15,000 system environment.

Here are just a few reasons why the systems exist in the console.

Old sys record in AD System Discovery Containers

Systems previously managed by SCCM still turned on but boundaries have been removed

Systems with agents installed because the agent is still in many of the teams images

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:37 PM
  • the below link may help you on removing old client records on SCCM console.

http://tech.scorpits.com/2013/06/delete-old-clients-from-sccm.html

~ Räjeésh M | Blog: ScorpITs | Please remember to 'Mark as Answer' or 'Vote as Helpful' on the post that helps. It helps others reading the thread and recognizes useful contributions.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:43 PM
  • Thanks for the info Rajeesh... please keep in mind the 3 examples I provided above will repopulate each day when discovery or the agent inventory action runs. I'm thinking that maybe the only way to clean this up is to find the major offenders and address their issues but this will be a constant issue.
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:00 PM
  • I create a collection of all machines that do not have the client installed. Then I create a report that lists the IP of all those systems. From there I can generally spot trends to notice that someone has added a new subnet without telling me.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Sunday, December 28, 2014 3:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 3, 2015 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:16 PM
  • Thanks John! That's the type of ideas that I'm looking for to help identify these systems.
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:21 PM