none
Randomly Outlook 2007 ask for credentials RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. 

After recreate Exchange 2007 virtual directories, Outlook 2007 randomly ask for credentials, but not for all users. The strange behaviour is that in the credential windows some times appears "Connect to <SCC Name>" and others appears "Connect to <owa.domain.com>". 

Outlook Anywhere configuration points to <owa.domain.com>.

I have checked permissions in all virtual directories, and they are configured as by default.

The "Test E-mail autoconfiguration" is working and retrieves correct URLs. The SCP URL is correct.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!!

Monday, October 31, 2011 12:25 PM

All replies

• Do these users connect to two networks, such as a wired and wireless network, simultaneously that go through different paths?  That's what caused this when I last saw it.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Hi Ed, thanks for your response!

The users that Outlook ask for credentials are connected to only one network.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 8:14 AM
  • When the issue occurs, check the Outlook Connection Status to see what is the connection, TCP/IP or HTTP? It will help verify if Outlook is trying to connect via Outlook Anywhere.

Is there any error on the application log for this issue? I am suspecting there might be a network related issue and I would suggest you collect network monitor log for further analysis.

Regarding the SCC name, do you mean the certificate name or your cluster? Is it one of the URLs returned by "Test E-mail autoconfiguration"?

Fiona

Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:04 AM
  • Hi Fiona,

This behaviour happens to users connected to internal LAN with HTTPS and TCP/IP... With external users (Internet) connected through Outlook Anywhere (HTTPS), works fine.

SCC means the Single Copy Cluster Exchange Name.

Test-E Mail Configuration retrieves:

• Protocol: Exchange RPC
    • Server Name: <clustername>.domain.com
    • OOF URL: (correct URL)
    • OAB URL: (correct URL)
    • Protocol: Exchange HTTP
    • Server Name: owa.domain.com

Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Thanks for your update.

Generally, Outlook will try to connect Exchange server vis TCP/IP first; if it is failed, Outlook will try to connect via HTPS (suppose Outlook Anywhere is setup in the profile).

When the connection status is shown as HTTPS, it means Outlook is trying to connectn (or is connecting) via Outlook anywhere. This may occur of Outlook cannot fine Exchange server in LAN. So if this occurs in your LAN, there is hightly likely a problem for network connection or cluster since the Exchange server cannot be connected (I believe it is network issue if Outlook Anywhere works).

And it is by design that you will be prompted for connection to owa.domain.com if you did not enable NTLM authentication for Domain-joined machine.

If it is TCP/IP connection status, that means Outlook can contact the Exchange server but fail to provide a valid credetials. This may occur if the client does not logon as domain account, or the windows profile has something wrong. If this is the issue, create a new windows profile for the problematic user, or submit a new thread on server/client forums. Hope it is helpful.

Fiona
    • Proposed as answer by Fiona_LiaoModerator Friday, November 4, 2011 6:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SKM12 Friday, November 4, 2011 8:01 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Thanks again for your response

Ok, I don´t understand this:  If this behaviour is due to network connections to cluster, the credential window will appear to everybody at same time, isn´t it? But the credential windows appears randomly and not for everyone.....

Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:09 AM
  • The network issue can occurs in any point, may be the client side like the NIC. So a network monitor log is better for analysis.
    Fiona
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:11 AM