Issue with Linux MP import and discovery of Linux servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! All,

This is a fresh install of opsmr 2070 r2 on windows server 2008 r2 64 bit. I am not having any issues discovering windows server etc.

However I am having issue with Linux servers. Under Administration - Management Packs if I search for Unix I see the 4 sealed MP's

Unix LogFile Template Library

Unix View Library

Unix Service Template Library

Unix Core Library

all of these MP' have version 6.1.7000.256.

I am having 2 issues here:

Issue 1) I do a discovery of Linux machine and I get an error -

The discovery wizard was unable to locate any unix/Linux support imformation - Two possible scenarios can cause this -

Unix OS MP are not imported

- Unix supprot information has not been fully discovered.

Issue 2) I try to import the Linux MP's with version 6.1.7000.277 but imports fails with error msg -

Unix core library could not be imported

If any MP in the import list are dependant on this MP, the installation of the dependant MP will fail.

The requested MP was invalid. See iner exception for details - Parameter name: MP

Appreciaet any help on resolving this.

Many thanks

Ven 

PS - Have screenshots - but there is no option to uplaod attachments.........

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:40 PM

Answers

1. Download and install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=39A871E0-D996-4568-BE5D-2EDB6F539330, the Cumulative Update 4 for SCOM 2007 R2. It will probably be installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\System Center 2007 R2 Hotfix Utility\KB....
    2. Launch the SCOM Operations Console, click on "Administration" then "Management Packs", then "Import Management Packs"
    3. Browse to the folder where the Hotfix was installed and in there you should see another folder called "ManagementPacks".  Import those 3 management packs then go and try to import the Unix ones again, you should get no dependency errors.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 18, 2011 7:49 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:57 PM

All replies

• appreciate some quick help please....................
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:24 PM
    1. Download and install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=39A871E0-D996-4568-BE5D-2EDB6F539330, the Cumulative Update 4 for SCOM 2007 R2. It will probably be installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\System Center 2007 R2 Hotfix Utility\KB....
    2. Launch the SCOM Operations Console, click on "Administration" then "Management Packs", then "Import Management Packs"
    3. Browse to the folder where the Hotfix was installed and in there you should see another folder called "ManagementPacks".  Import those 3 management packs then go and try to import the Unix ones again, you should get no dependency errors.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 18, 2011 7:49 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Awesome! its works! Many many thanks for all your help!

Just wanted to check further - I have another SCOM instance in a different Data center (DC2) which has linux VM's discovered, url's being monitored etc.

Q) - Do I need to apply the CU 4 on this instance too?

Now that, Iam able to discover linux servers - I need to install agents - but in this DC (DC1) I dont have root password for Linux servers - all I have is another account (eg: custroot) which can run commands like root using the sudo option.

So can you pl advice me on how to go about it? Is it mandatory to have the root ID for discover/install agent and monitor the linux servers?

Many thanks

Ven

Friday, March 11, 2011 1:28 AM