Unable to get alert names from SCOM MP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone-

I was asked to pull out the alert names, that are configured for a particular agent(server) in SCOM 2007 R2 env. for this an option effectiveconfiguration.exe is available but to get only active monitor/rules. So is there any possibility that we can get the alert names from Management packs in csv format

Thanks

Imran

Monday, August 22, 2016 2:55 PM

Answers

• >> So is there any possibility that we can get the alert names from Management packs in csv format
    You may try this sql statement
    select mv.displayname as monitorname, mpv.displayname as ManagementName, lt.LTValue as AlertName
    from monitorview mv inner join ManagementPackView mpv on
    mpv.id=mv.ManagementPackID
    inner join  LocalizedText lt
    on mv.AlertMessage=it.LTStringID
    where LTstringType=1 order by  mpv.displayname
    Roger
    • Marked as answer by imransc Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>So is there any possibility that we can get the alert names from Management packs in csv format

The powershell command "get-rule" or "get-monitor" will only list all rule/Monitor in that MP . It doesn't list which rule/monitor targeting to specific computer (I'm afraid , we still can not get this information from MP ).

I'm not familiar with SCOM 2007 but in SCOM 2012R2  the similar command "Export-SCOMEffectiveMonitoringConfiguration" may list the rule/monitor even it is not enabled .

Hope the following article is helpful to you :

https://scompanion.wordpress.com/2012/08/16/find-out-what-all-the-rules-and-monitors-are-monitoring-for-specific-server-in-scom-2007-r2/

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:13 AM
  • >> So is there any possibility that we can get the alert names from Management packs in csv format
    You may try this sql statement
    select mv.displayname as monitorname, mpv.displayname as ManagementName, lt.LTValue as AlertName
    from monitorview mv inner join ManagementPackView mpv on
    mpv.id=mv.ManagementPackID
    inner join  LocalizedText lt
    on mv.AlertMessage=it.LTStringID
    where LTstringType=1 order by  mpv.displayname
    Roger
    • Marked as answer by imransc Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

Getting the alert names from management packs in CSV format is a bit tricky. Instead, you can load the management pack in the MP Viewer tool and see all the rules and monitors. 

As alerts are raised either by a rule or a monitor, you will get a fair idea of the rules and monitors that are being presently enabled and generating alerts.

Hope this helps.

Please vote if the answer helps your cause. 

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:38 AM
  • Hi Roger:

Thanks so much for your help, i got the alert names out from MP for the monitors.

i tried modifying above query for rules but not able to get them, 

because there is no alert name/description columns in the ruleview to join it with localizedtext table, can u pls guide me how to proceed

Imaran

• Edited by imransc Wednesday, August 24, 2016 11:35 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:05 PM