DISM Error 14081 on NETFX3 Add Feature RRS feed

• Question

• Spent several days trying to install NETFX3 on Windows Essential Server 2012 R2 but it keeps failing at 32.7% with error 14081.  I first tried through the Add Features but it failed many times.   Then I mounted the Server ISO as Drive e: and ran the following command

DISM /online /enable-feature /featurename:NETFX3 /all /source:e:\sources\sxs

Gets to 32.7% and the fail with error 14081.  The DISM logs show the following..

Encountered the option "source" with value "e:\sources\sxs" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine

Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80073701)

I then ram the DISM /Online /RestoreHealth.  It reported corruption fixes.   So I ran the /Enable-Feature again but it still failed at 32.7%! 

Several days of searching online didn't lead to any solutions. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Walter Matesa NetworkTECHS.IT

Monday, February 8, 2016 6:20 PM

Answers

• Solution was found by a Microsoft Tech; an old update failed on the install and had to be manually removed from the registry and Windows Directory.  Once that was accomplished the install worked flawlessly.

Here is the info from the MS tech.

ISSUE: Unable to install .Net Framework 3.5 feature.

CAUSE: KB2966828 was partially installed on the server and we have a known issue with KB2966828 installed before Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 feature installed on the server. "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3002547"

RESOLUTION: We took ownership of all the files that include KB2966828 in file name and gave permissions to the currently logged in user.

- Moved all the files that include KB2966828 in file name to C:\KB2966828 folder.

- Took backup of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing" key on desktop.

- Took ownership of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\PackageDetect key and inherited the ownership to all the sub keys.

- Gave permissions to currently logged in user on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\PackageDetect key and inherited the permissions to all the subkeys.

- Manually removed the values that include KB2966828 in value name for all the keys present under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\PackageDetect" key.

- Ran the following command to install .netframework 3.5: "DISM /online /enable-feature /featurename:NETFX3 /all /source:e:\sources\sxs". This time it completed successfully.

- Rebooted the server.

- Upon reboot, we confirmed that .netFramework 3.5 is now installed on the server.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:58 PM

All replies

• Thanks, but that was the first thing I did.  It failed and so I went to DISM.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:55 PM
  • you installed dot net 3.5?

Grey

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 6:02 PM
  • No I did not install dot net 3.5 because of the errors I described in my post.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 12:38 AM
  • Hi,

Error 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING:
    there are some system files are missing, which caused the update installation failure.

You have mentioned that “ran the DISM /Online /RestoreHealth. It reported corruption fixes.” I would recommend you to restart the server, followed KB 947821 to check/repair system files again - Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

If there is no error prompted, try to re-install the feature again and confirm the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 2:38 AM
  • Hi,

I've run through the steps in KB947821 successfully, restarted the server, then tried to add the feature both from GUI and DISM.  Sad to say it's the same result;

error: 14081 - the reference assembly could not be found.

In GUI - The referenced assembly could not be found. Error: 0x80073701

Friday, February 12, 2016 4:55 AM
  • Solution was found by a Microsoft Tech; an old update failed on the install and had to be manually removed from the registry and Windows Directory.  Once that was accomplished the install worked flawlessly.

Here is the info from the MS tech.

ISSUE: Unable to install .Net Framework 3.5 feature.

CAUSE: KB2966828 was partially installed on the server and we have a known issue with KB2966828 installed before Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 feature installed on the server. "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3002547"

RESOLUTION: We took ownership of all the files that include KB2966828 in file name and gave permissions to the currently logged in user.

- Moved all the files that include KB2966828 in file name to C:\KB2966828 folder.

- Took backup of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing" key on desktop.

- Took ownership of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\PackageDetect key and inherited the ownership to all the sub keys.

- Gave permissions to currently logged in user on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\PackageDetect key and inherited the permissions to all the subkeys.

- Manually removed the values that include KB2966828 in value name for all the keys present under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\PackageDetect" key.

- Ran the following command to install .netframework 3.5: "DISM /online /enable-feature /featurename:NETFX3 /all /source:e:\sources\sxs". This time it completed successfully.

- Rebooted the server.

- Upon reboot, we confirmed that .netFramework 3.5 is now installed on the server.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:58 PM
  • Thanks.  That is why I asked if dot net 3.5 had been installed.  I could not see how 3.5 updates could be applied if it had not been installed.  But there is a lot I can't see :)  But I saw that KB that said it would fail if updates were applied.

Glad you got it sorted.'

Grey

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 9:38 PM