none
Project Server 2007 - 1-Level Lookup Table Size for Project Custom Field RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I'm going to create a Project Custom Field based on a 1-level (no hierarchy) Lookup Table.

The Lookup table will contain over 500 diferent 3 letters values (each with a short description); the user will have to select one or more of this values for its corresponding Project Custom Field.

My questions are:

1) Is there a limit to the Lookup table size i.e. number of elements listed (one level, no hierarchy)?

2) Is there a (semi)automatic way (copy/paste, other) to actually load the lookup table with its initial values?

Thanks in advance for your kind reply.

Sebastián Armas PMO Project Manager
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Sebastian,

1) The theoretical limit is very high. But nearing 20.000 entries in a lookup table can cause problems displaying the custom field in Microsoft Project. My advice is to keep the number of entries in a lookup table below 1.000 (ideal) or at least below 5.000 (maximum).

2) You can prepare the list in Excel and copy/paste it into the lookup table. Careful! This is only recommended for the first time you populate a lookup table! When you save the entries, they get assigned a unique idea. Overwriting existing values is a rename action (keeping the unique idea), meaning that you would change all values that are in use! So only use copy/paste for the first time you populate the LT.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Sebastian,

1) The theoretical limit is very high. But nearing 20.000 entries in a lookup table can cause problems displaying the custom field in Microsoft Project. My advice is to keep the number of entries in a lookup table below 1.000 (ideal) or at least below 5.000 (maximum).

2) You can prepare the list in Excel and copy/paste it into the lookup table. Careful! This is only recommended for the first time you populate a lookup table! When you save the entries, they get assigned a unique idea. Overwriting existing values is a rename action (keeping the unique idea), meaning that you would change all values that are in use! So only use copy/paste for the first time you populate the LT.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Hans:

Thanks for your quick and complete reply: it's the precise information I needed and the initial population procedure worked just fine.

Very gratefully yours,

Sebastián Armas PMO Project Manager
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:00 PM