none
Can't change URL of List in SharePoint Team Site (Office 365)

Question

• I'm working inside a Team Site in Office 365 SharePoint.

I created a List and added some tasks. Then I renamed the list.

However, I noticed the URL did not change when I renamed it.

I've seen numerous posts around the Web like this one, explaining different ways to do it.

http://www.netwoven.com/2016/02/3-ways-to-change-the-url-of-a-sharepoint-list-or-library/

Regarding the three options listed there:

1. I have no idea what PowerShell is, nor do I care to find out. I'm not a software developer. That option is no good for me.

2. I followed these instructions in SharePoint Designer 2013. Renaming the List had no effect on the URL whatsoever. So, it doesn't work as advertised per that article.

3. The "Open with Windows Explorer" button is disabled (greyed out) for me.

So I'm stuck. Anyone have a way to change a List URL?

Like so many things Microsoft... blows my mind that such a simple thing is not easy to do. I mean... given that URL's are kind of foundational to the organization of information on the Internet, and SharePoint is supposedly all about organizing information... oh never mind.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Friday, June 17, 2016 7:12 PM

All replies

• Normally changing the URL for a list is a bad thing. It breaks all your links and, well, that's enough. It breaks all your links. Normally i'd only change the name of a list when it's new and i'm re-creating it from scratch.

I wouldn't trust that blog post at all, moving lists into sub folders in particular seems very unwise, the PowerShell script isn't applicable to O365 (but to be fair the author doesn't claim it is).

For open with explorer try using IE. That option isn't available in some browsers and that's the most common reason for it to not be shown.

Monday, June 20, 2016 6:15 AM