Windows Media Center - wont launch...due to Software Restriction Policy??? RRS feed

• Question

• Current system:
    Windows Vista x64 Ultimate RETAIL installed onto clean system.
    UAC disabled
    Using full administrator account w/ no restrictions

Problem:
    Anytime I attempt to launch Windows Media Center or Media Center Extender I receive the following popup error and the program does not attempt to to even start:

Error:
    [Windows Media Center]
    "Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy.  For more information contact your system administrator."

Summary:
    When I initialy installed the OS, this problem did not exist.  I was able to launch WMC just fine.  Only after a couple month of reinstalling necessary base applications do I now get this error.  My family cannot even use it as an extender for the XBOX360 anymore. 

From what i can tell there are a lot of people with this issue and NO SOLUTION from MS as yet.  I did see in one post that someone else had this error and was able to correct it by setting WMC as the default application in "Default Programs --> Set Program Access and Computer Defaults"  This did not work for me at all.  At this point I am at a complete loss.  Any insight would be appreciated.

-J
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:23 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem, please can anyone tell me how to fix it.
    Friday, January 25, 2008 12:38 AM