Enterprise Mode IE7 - document mode 5 RRS feed

• Question

• If I turn on compatibility mode manually in IE11 it correctly detects the existence of a DOCTYPE tag in the html and either uses IE7 or IE5 document mode. It is happily using IE7 mode as we do have a DOCTYPE tag on our internal webserver.

It I use an Enterprise Mode site list to choose IE7 Enterprise mode or IE7 Document Mode, it always uses IE5 document mode, regardless of the DOCTYPE tag.  While we transition, the default for our internal sites need to be in IE7 mode, but IE5 is breaking our sites.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior or know how to make it not use IE5 document mode? 

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:27 PM

Answers

• Based on what you have shown, the solution is given by col2, rows 8 and 9, in the lower matrix here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/security/en-US/12875062-d9d4-43d6-a998-4fa7ab994966/enterprise-mode-site-list-not-working-site-is-showing-up-in-document-mode-5-instead-of-document#acdefbd3-2456-4278-92b4-a70e5080ee00

The reason is explained several posts above.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

it has to be a VALID document type tag....!

see W3C list of Recommended Doctypes

or

validate your markup at validator.w3.org/nu

or

to 'future proof' all of your markup resources replace all doctypes with the html5 Document type declaration

<!doctype html>.... certainly for any web page development you should already be using the html5 DTD on all new documents.

Post questions about html, css or scripting for web site development to stackoverflow.com. If possible include with your questions a link to your website or a mashup (jsfiddle.com) that shows the issue.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:15 AM
  • Hi,

In addition, for more information, Please refer to the link.

Fix web compatibility issues using document modes and the Enterprise Mode site list:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn872481.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:44 AM
  • Thank you for taking the time to look at my post.  The discussion topic is in relation to IE and Enterprise Mode as opposed to coding questions or html validation.  

I will simplify the question as such...  How do I get IE11 to work in IE7 document mode by using an Enterprise Mode list through group policy?  I know "how" it's supposed to be configured, but it always switches to IE5 document mode. I'll attach some screen shots to illustrate the issue.  

The internal site is not new and was carefully crafted to work in IE7 Compatibility View because Compatibility View is an all or nothing switch for the entire domain. Now that we have the need to separate out certain child domains and sub paths, we are looking into using Enterprise Mode to piecemeal compatibility settings.

Working correctly with Compatibility View

Not working correctly with Enterprise Mode

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 4:28 PM
  • Interesting issue. I don't have the time to test this on my end, but note that IE7 Document Mode is not Enterprise Mode.

I know in your original post that you said you are having trouble with both IE7 Document Mode and IE7 Enterprise Mode in the Enterprise Mode Site List, but your second screenshot shows you setting IE7 Document Mode but the caption says "Not working correctly in Enterprise Mode".

I just wanted to point that out.

As an aside, you can also use the Group Policy setting "Use Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites" to add web FQDNs (e.g. www.ipsd.org) to old-fashioned Compatibility View without it also putting the entire domain "ipsd.org" in Compatibility View.  We do this on our end for a few internal web applications that use FQDN where we don't want to add our entire domain to Compatibility View and it works fine, though we are trying to migrate these to the Enterprise Mode Site List one at a time.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:15 AM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 9:45 PM
  • Based on what you have shown, the solution is given by col2, rows 8 and 9, in the lower matrix here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/security/en-US/12875062-d9d4-43d6-a998-4fa7ab994966/enterprise-mode-site-list-not-working-site-is-showing-up-in-document-mode-5-instead-of-document#acdefbd3-2456-4278-92b4-a70e5080ee00

The reason is explained several posts above.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:09 AM
  • I will have to test your claim about being able to have child domains configuration separately.  I swear I tested this in the past and found it to not be the case which is why we are using Enterprise Mode in the first place.  That would solve the problem, but I still like the detailed control Enterprise Mode provides.  

I took a single conglomerate screenshot of all the relevant settings.  The site has an HTML 4 transitional doctype, it set to IE7 Enterprise mode, has the Enterprise mode icon but renders in IE5.  

Today, if I run IE11 on Windows 10x64 with compatibility view on, it displays in IE5 mode.  If I do the same with IE11 on Win7x64, I get IE7 document mode.  Very strange.  

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:47 PM
  • I was unable to find a post from user col2 in the referenced post north a script long enough to have 9 rows but the thread was relevant information so thanks.  He does claim that there was a doctype problem with the site but I don't think html 4 transitional should cause IE5 mode.  I just posted a screenshot with he doctype etc above.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:49 PM
  • Today I am fighting with the "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" setting which seems to override Enterprise Mode settings.  I need to have certain sites defined as "local intranet" for domain credential pass through reasons.

The relevant GP for this checkbox is "Turn on IE Standards Mode for local intranet" under compatibility view in GP.  If I enable this policy, it forces all intranet sites to work in Edge mode and ignores Enterprise mode settings.  Should I not configure or disable it, everything gets converted to IE7 compatibility mode which is also wrong.  I've tried defining sites as Default in the Enterprise mode site list, but I think that defaults to compatibility mode because of the intranet setting.  As I need some intranet sites to be edge and some IE7, this is troublesome.  

I'm going to try the policy "Turn off compatibility view" and see how that plays with Enterprise mode.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:56 PM
  • It looks like the policy "Turn off Compatibility View" does the trick.  If that is enabled, all settings in Enterprise mode are respected and there is no more nonsense with "Display intranet sites in compatibility view".  

A side quark is that should you have Developer  open, visit a site that has Enterprise Mode enabled and then navigate to a site that should work in Edge, Enterprise mode stays on, breaking IE.  Luckily this is not a problem when the Developer Tools are closed.

I'd also like to mention that the one site displaying in IE5 mode still exists, but that particular site works in IE5 mode so I don't care.  It's probably a concern outside of Enterprise mode.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:09 PM
  • Today I am fighting with the "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" setting which seems to override Enterprise Mode settings.  I need to have certain sites defined as "local intranet" for domain credential pass through reasons.

The relevant GP for this checkbox is "Turn on IE Standards Mode for local intranet" under compatibility view in GP.  If I enable this policy, it forces all intranet sites to work in Edge mode and ignores Enterprise mode settings.  Should I not configure or disable it, everything gets converted to IE7 compatibility mode which is also wrong.  I've tried defining sites as Default in the Enterprise mode site list, but I think that defaults to compatibility mode because of the intranet setting.  As I need some intranet sites to be edge and some IE7, this is troublesome.  

I'm going to try the policy "Turn off compatibility view" and see how that plays with Enterprise mode.

We had to forcefully turn off the "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" setting prior to upgrading to IE11 in our environment.  A particular web application that was accessed only via hostname (and was therefore automatically in the intranet zone) did not work correctly in IE11 with Compatibility View enabled.

We do not have trouble with Enterprise Mode with the "Turn on Internet Explorer Standards Mode for local intranet" in our environment.  The sites in our Enterprise Mode Site List do load in Enterprise Mode.  I just checked all of the sites in our intranet zone that are in the EM site list and they all display in IE5 document mode, but they are all pretty old applications and were rendering in IE5 document mode via Compatibility View previously in any case.

I'm not sure why you are having trouble with that setting as my experience is not the same as yours.

I'd absolutely love to set the "Turn off Compatibility View" setting to Enabled in our environment.  I hate the sort of mismash of Compatibility View settings all the different users have today.  Unfortunately the culture here is such that we can't force the endusers to wait for the change to get made to the EM site list and for that updated list to propagate to them and we don't let them put sites in Enterprise Mode manually via the Tools menu control in IE because that setting seems pretty flaky (and doesn't solve issues on sites where visitors using IE11 edge mode are redirected to a "your browser is incompatible" page in any case).  The current process is the helpdesk helps them put problematic sites in Compatibility View and then they escalate it and it gets added to the EM site list as well so that other users don't have to mess with Compatibility View.

Enterprise Mode is great, but I do wish it was something that was controlled via group policy rather than an XML file that IE is responsible for version-checking and downloading on its own.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:41 PM