When I rename files why do I have to hit F5 before the new names are displayed? RRS feed

• Question

• It appears that this problem has been reported for well over a year now.  Is this something that is being ignored in the hopes it goes away in the next version of Windows?
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:05 PM

Answers

• Well that'd be the 99% of the time you'll be running some 3rd party app - you've been running all along. I've heard you complaining - what I haven't heard is anything you've tried to find out what is causing it. It's not the OS - it's addons.

Actually, it isn't.  Troubleshooting takes time and when it turns out that it is the OS and not an addon then it gets kind of frustrating.

This is an OS glitch, and I verified this by accident.

I happened to stick an SD card into the reader and renamed some photos.  The changes updated immediately as they should.  Intrigued, I closed out that window, clicked start, computer, the drive letter for the SD card, went into the DCIM directory and tried again.  Instant update.  Created a new folder and all worked as it should.

Down on the task bar I have pinned a folder - this is how I navigate files 99% of the time.  (See above.)  I navigated through to the same DCIM on the same card and renamed some more files.  Didn't update until I hit F5.  Created a new folder.  Didn't show up until I hit F5.

So I unpinned the shortcut and created it and now everything works correctly.  For now at least.

It was the OS.  Something got corrupted with the directory shortcut that was pinned to the taskbar.

I'll consider this resolved for now, but if it comes back then there is something else - with the OS - that needs to be identified.  I'm not the only one to have this problem, but I seem to be one of the few who have found something that works to correct it.

• Marked as answer by a.clawson Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:38 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:37 PM

All replies

• Change of clickage in Windows 7, similar to Vista, different than XP.

Rename the item, then click off the item. or hit F5 for a refresh(well, F5 was around in XP, in the old days)

It's not going away.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:23 PM
  • It didn't used to work like this.  It also brings no benefit or advantage to the user whatsoever.  Why would they make this change?  Who sat down and thought "I have a great idea!"?

This is a bug and it needs to be fixed.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Change of clickage in Windows 7, similar to Vista, different than XP.

Rename the item, then click off the item.

You are wrong, by the way... this DOES NOT WORK.

Why would the system require me to create a folder, manually refresh the screen before the folder I just created appears, then rename it, then refresh again before I can use it?

This cannot possibly be by design - if it is then whoever designed it to work like this needs to be forever banned from programming.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:17 PM
  • I cannot reproduce the issue. If I select a file or folder, right-click it, select rename, rename it and click somwhere off the folder or file,  the name is changed.

Same goes for creating a folder. Right-click a blank space, select new, select folder and it appears, click off the new folder and there it is, named new folder.

I suggest that you create a new standard user and test this behavior, you may have an issue with the current profile or try the clean boot method and test the behavior.

Something has changed the system. An app may have changed something.

• Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by pkn2011 Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:35 PM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Hi Nano Warp, you said.. I cannot reproduce the issue. If I select a file or folder, right-click it, select rename, rename it and click somwhere off the folder or file, the name is changed.

I agree. There's no problem here. I created a folder. Renamed it. No delay or needing to click in the folder I created the new folder in.

Hmm. I also DON'T have the indexing Service running. Perhaps that's causing it??

Aside: Hi a.clawson go into 'programs and features' 'Turn Windows features on or off.' Do you have the 'Indexing Service' running?

curious.. pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:13 PM
  • Indexing service is not running.

This is an issue that has been reported since Windows 7 RTM in 2009.  So far nobody has been able to come up with a definite solution.  Nano is the first person who has ever suggested that it was a feature of Windows that would never be fixed.

Friday, August 5, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Hi a.clawson, you said.. "Indexing service is not running."

Okay, so one variable eliminated. So, do you regularly clean up your registry, temp files etc, that may be affecting system operation. Do you scan/clean your system from malware? Do you run older softrwares in compatability mode.. etc.

Coz seriously - the only time I find I need to refresh is on web pages.. what OS are you using btw?

hmm. very curious indeed.

Regards, pkn

ah feature? - well I guess it IS hard to spot sarcasm in but text alone. ;-}

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Friday, August 5, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Running Windows 7 Professional SP1.  Temp files are dumped occasionally, usually when they reach several hundred Mb to a Gb in total.

No older programs in compatibility mode.  Microsoft Security Essentials handles the malware/etc.

I ran SFC and it came up with an issue but that didn't seem to fix the problem.

Friday, August 5, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Running Windows 7 Professional SP1.  Temp files are dumped occasionally, usually when they reach several hundred Mb to a Gb in total.

No older programs in compatibility mode.  Microsoft Security Essentials handles the malware/etc.

I ran SFC and it came up with an issue but that didn't seem to fix the problem.

Friday, August 5, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Hi again. you wrote.. "Running Windows 7 Professional SP1. "

Is that 32bit - or 64bit. And what hardware configuration are you running on?

btw. When I say no need to refresh here. I'm talking on Vista 32  + Win7 (32 & 64bit).

pkn2011

Friday, August 5, 2011 11:25 PM
  • btw: is this 'problem' still apparent in safe mode? if it isn't you should experiment further with the clean boot suggestion of nano.. ie. "(quote) I suggest that you create a new standard user and test this behavior, you may have an issue with the current profile or try the clean boot method and test the behavior."

Regards, pkn

Friday, August 5, 2011 11:45 PM
  • Windows 7 professional 64 bit.  Running on an Intel i5 650 @3.20  GHz and 6Gb of RAM.

For a brief period the problem stopped, then started up again an hour later.  No particular reason was noted, I wasn't running any new or additional programs, didn't install/uninstall anything.

Typical applications used are Outlook 2010 (32 bit), Firefox, Chrome, MSIE, TSRs are Live Mesh, Backblaze, MadAppLauncher, Pidgin, Logmein.

Monday, August 8, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Hi again. For a test - try turning off Superfetch mebbe.. & Do you have readyBoost on a FlashRAM?

All the best, pkn

Monday, August 8, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Didn't seem to make a difference.  Not using ReadyBoost.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Hi, okay. Well my system has readyboost ON ~8GB for reference. (superfetch was ON originally - now OFF)

btw. When you say.. "Temp files are dumped occasionally, usually when they reach several hundred Mb to a Gb in total."

Immediately after cleanup - is the problem still apparent? Or does it become more obvious as time goes on. How long between cleanups..

I clean up fairly regularly here. every few days at most really.

Regards, pkn

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:46 PM
  • It doesn't seem to make a difference if I dump the temp files or not.  It is obvious 99% of the time, with only occasional windows when it doesn't happen.  No apparent reason, and the problem reappears as quickly as it went away.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:57 PM
  • There's a HUGE thread where people report Explorer fails to refresh after certain operations. 

Some people see the problem, some never do.  I'm one, like several above, who never see any problem with Explorer refresh.

What you're seeing is NOT normal, and is not a purposeful design change, though it may be related to what the others in that other thread are seeing.  It may be related to working in or with Libraries, but it may be more complex than that.

-Noel

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:04 PM
  • Hi again, you said..  "It is obvious 99% of the time, with only occasional windows when it doesn't happen."

Well that'd be the 99% of the time you'll be running some 3rd party app - you've been running all along. I've heard you complaining - what I haven't heard is anything you've tried to find out what is causing it. It's not the OS - it's addons.

You need to do a clean boot. When you've determined it's working in default properly then you've eliminated hardware - OS problems.. Then start adding back your apps 1 at a time if necessary until you determine what it it that IS the cause of the problem.

For example I added a toolbar that I liked from my Vista32 system. Immediately there were IE9 problems with it included on the Win7 64bit. So I removed it. Everything needs to be tested in isolation if possible - but that takes time of course.

Start by testing "Typical applications used are Outlook 2010 (32 bit), Firefox, Chrome, MSIE, TSRs are Live Mesh, Backblaze, MadAppLauncher, Pidgin, Logmein.

I know IE9 is okay. Firefox seemed stable. What about a "MadAppLauncher" I'd look at that first!! :-)

Complaining about it - isn't going to help you, or anyone else. In a clean state the OS is stable and works as you say it doesn't so you need to do the detective work to find where the conflict is occurring.

Best Regards, pkn

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:59 AM
  • So, just in this thread there are several methods of analysis available to you in order to determine where the problem is.

1. Reboot - and come up in Safe Mode. Test the activity there. a limited amount of drivers are running this way etc..
    2. Set up a New User account to log in with. This will determine if you have a problem with an "ALL users" type app, the new user won't have any apps for himself as yet.. Your current profile may be problematic.
    3. Use the clean boot method - this let's you systematically check all hardware - and 3rd party softwares in use.
    4. Verify your hardware drivers - software - is all updated. Some may not be 64bit compatible.
    5. Ensure that anything that isn't compatible is set to run IN compatability mode.
    6. Review other threads to determine if particular soft/hardware you are using could be the source of problems
    7. Review 32bit softwares in use - are they needed - can something be uninstalled - replaced with a 64bit software that would be more compatible.

All the best, pkn

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:19 AM
  • Well that'd be the 99% of the time you'll be running some 3rd party app - you've been running all along. I've heard you complaining - what I haven't heard is anything you've tried to find out what is causing it. It's not the OS - it's addons.

Actually, it isn't.  Troubleshooting takes time and when it turns out that it is the OS and not an addon then it gets kind of frustrating.

This is an OS glitch, and I verified this by accident.

I happened to stick an SD card into the reader and renamed some photos.  The changes updated immediately as they should.  Intrigued, I closed out that window, clicked start, computer, the drive letter for the SD card, went into the DCIM directory and tried again.  Instant update.  Created a new folder and all worked as it should.

Down on the task bar I have pinned a folder - this is how I navigate files 99% of the time.  (See above.)  I navigated through to the same DCIM on the same card and renamed some more files.  Didn't update until I hit F5.  Created a new folder.  Didn't show up until I hit F5.

So I unpinned the shortcut and created it and now everything works correctly.  For now at least.

It was the OS.  Something got corrupted with the directory shortcut that was pinned to the taskbar.

I'll consider this resolved for now, but if it comes back then there is something else - with the OS - that needs to be identified.  I'm not the only one to have this problem, but I seem to be one of the few who have found something that works to correct it.

• Marked as answer by a.clawson Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:38 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:37 PM
  • See my longer response above - OS glitch - oddly corrupted shortcut from the task bar, since that is how I navigated to almost everything the problem almost always showed up.  The few times I went in via start/computer/<path> there were no problems at all.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Notably, I NEVER pin ANYTHING to the Taskbar, and I NEVER see the failure to update.  You could be on to something.

-Noel

Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Hi Noel, you said.. " I NEVER pin ANYTHING to the Taskbar, and I NEVER see the failure to update"

I pin a few apps - and Explorer itself. But I've not pinned folders. Obviously the variable nature of a folder causes the problem - updating an app can have the same effect too - where a second link appears on the taskbar to the updated app. Still it's good to know this can happen -  I'm as mentioned only new to Win7 so what do I know anyway. heh. Just here to learn - and help if possible..

Aside. Well done a.clawson. :)) 

Regards, pkn

Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Hi a.clawson, you wrote.. "This is an OS glitch, and I verified this by accident.

It was the OS. Something got corrupted with the directory shortcut that was pinned to the taskbar.

I'll consider this resolved for now, but if it comes back then there is something else - with the OS - that needs to be identified. I'm not the only one to have this problem, but I seem to be one of the few who have found something that works to correct it." [End]

Okay. Well done indeed! :)  pkn

So I guess now there needs to be a bug report submitted to Microsoft about this issue. (?)
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:27 PM