none
Console crashes MSDPM 2012 R2 Service within about 20s of startup RRS feed

• Question

• The MSDPM service crashes within a short time of the 2012 R2 Management console starting with Event ID 999

The error is "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

My environment is upgraded from DPM 2012 -> SP1 -> R2; but I actually suspect the Protection Group.  I have Tape configured for both short and long term (I have no disk storage configured, not cloud yet).

The remainder of the stack looks like this:

Problem Details:
    <FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>97</Seq><TimeCreated>5/11/2013 2:04:44 PM</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>NullReferenceException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.WriterHelper.BaseWriterHelper.InvalidateReplicaAndForceHeavyWeightValidation(Message msg, Replica dbReplica, String traceFormatMessage)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.WriterHelper.SqlWriterHelper.HandleUsnIdChangeForSqlType(Message msg)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.WriterHelper.SqlWriterHelper.HandleUsnIdChangesOnConfigureProtectionSuccess(Message msg)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.ConfigureProtectionMachine.ConfigureDeltaTrackingSucceeded(Message msg)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.Fsm.Engine.ChangeState(Message msg)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.TaskInstance.Process(Object dummy)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.FsmThreadFunction.Function(Object taskThreadContextObj)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

I will decompile the library containing the "WriterHelper" to see if I can figure out what is going bang in here.

Any leads are greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi

What account is used for the DPM service? are you using the following or a domain account?

.\DPMR$SERVERNAME for your service?

Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:08 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  Mine cropped up after adding a DB to a SQL instance that is auto protected.  Even if I remove the instance from the protection group and re-add it, DPM still can't configure protection on that new DB.  So, I think you're on the right track with a Protection Group issue.

The only similar info I've found on this has to do with AlwaysOn in SQL: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2905631

However, I'm not running AlwaysOn (or any replication or mirroring) on this instance, so that's not the issue directly.  I'm thinking it is related.

Any info you find would be appreciated as well!

Friday, December 6, 2013 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

This crash can occur if you are only doing disk to tape (D-T) protection and the protected data source (SQL DB) is moved to another volume.  If you follow the steps outlined in the article, it should resolve the crashes.

2905631 The DPM service crashes with Event ID 917 after you change a protection group
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2905631/EN-US

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:18 AM