Start menu search returns no results even for default programs RRS feed

• Question

• When I open the start menu and try searching I get just what appear to be the headings for different categories or programs when indexing may be found.  It does appear to be searching and finding things under certain headings, but it doesn't display them.  This is a real pain as the search is my favorite part of Windows 7.  Being able to just hit the windows key and type a few letters is sorely missed.  I is not that it sqays no results, but just seems to find them, but not show 'em.

See screenshot...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Troubleshooting steps:

• Rebooted many times
    • Logged in as another user on the machine and other user profiles on the same machine search properly
    • Rebuilt the indexes (control panel -> indexing options -> advanced -> rebuild)
    • Currently running system file checker:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en
    • SFC did find some corrupt files and I'll need to look into them
    • Ideas?

Monday, December 6, 2010 6:53 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your information. 

When I hadn't heard anything for a few days I took the low road and deleted my user profile entirely after backing it up using the "Windows 7 Easy Transfer" Wizard.  Backed up my profile and then deleted it from the computer.  Logged back in and recreated the profile.  After verifying the search menus worked I copied the profile back to retrieve most of my settings.

• Marked as answer by Chase Roth Monday, December 13, 2010 6:24 PM
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Chase

Thsi could be due to registry corruption .Can you please try replacing GroupBy"="System.Null" to “System.StartMenu.Group” at  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} and restart the explorer.

Regards

Sohrab

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Thanks for your information. 

When I hadn't heard anything for a few days I took the low road and deleted my user profile entirely after backing it up using the "Windows 7 Easy Transfer" Wizard.  Backed up my profile and then deleted it from the computer.  Logged back in and recreated the profile.  After verifying the search menus worked I copied the profile back to retrieve most of my settings.

• Marked as answer by Chase Roth Monday, December 13, 2010 6:24 PM
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:23 PM