MS windows server 2012 R2 -- how to enable windows update check box from registry RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to enable the windows update on (windows server 2012 R2). I am unable to find the registry ( windows update check box) to automate the process from the power-shell.

I have selected install updates automatically ( recommended).

Kindly help me with the registry of windows update check. ( give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update windows).

Appreciate your support!.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 9:47 AM

All replies

• this may help

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wua_sdk/opt-in-to-microsoft-update

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 11:36 AM
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

For details, refer following,

https://github.com/vFense/vFenseAgent-win/wiki/Registry-keys-for-configuring-Automatic-Updates-&-WSUS

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:20 PM
  • Hi umareddy0706,

Thanks for your posting.

To avoid misunderstanding, my understanding of the case is that the purpose is to enable client automatic updates through the registry.
    please consider opening the registry by referring to the following path, set up according to the link below:

Registry path:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Reference link:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-wu-settings

Please consider referring to this section of the link above - Configure automatic updates by editing the registry.

If you have any updates, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita  

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 6:26 AM
  • Hi Rita

thanks for your reply. 

you are referring to Windows 10 . But my question related to Windows server 2012 R2. 

As you mentioned above the registry path is not available in 2012 R2. 

Kindly take a look at 2012 R2 and revert back to me.

Thanks

Uma

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 10:13 AM
  • Hi umareddy0706,

Thanks for your posting.

First, it is not recommended to modify the registry to set automatic updates for clients.

Second, this link still applies to Windows Server 2012R2 clients. 

However, if it is cumbersome to modify the keys and values of the registry one by one, please consider exporting the corresponding part of the Windows 10 client registry and then importing the Windows Server 2012R2 client. 

Note that the client registry is backed up before making changes to the registry.

If you have any updates, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 4, 2020 2:18 AM
  • Thanks again Rita,

The registry path for windows update in 2012 R2 is : 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate.

As you specified the path for windows update is not available in 2012 R2. 

Registry path:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU (not available in 2012 R2)

I am automated everything except the windows update check box.

( I am unable to attach the screen shot of windows update. if you go to windows 2012 R2 server windows update GUI )

1. we have option from drop down. ( I am able to achieve with script/registry)
    2. check box for recommends update ( I am able to achieve with script/registry)
    3. check box for windows update ( I am unable to achieve this with script/registry)

Kindly provide the solution to enable the check box for windows update. How to enable that check box without going to windows update GUI.  I wanted to enable the checkbox with script or from registry.

Appreciate your kind support!.

Thanks

Uma

Thursday, June 4, 2020 12:26 PM
  • Hi umareddt0706,

Thanks for your posting.

Here is a link just for your reference:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/server-core/server-core-servicing

I will do further research on this issue. If there is a follow-up, I will contact you the first time.

Regards,
    Rita

Friday, June 5, 2020 9:28 AM
  • Hi umareddy0706,

Thanks for your time.

To delve into this case, please consider assisting with the following information:
    1. Is the server the core version of the server?
    2. Could you tell me if your environment is a domain environment?
    3. Where does your server get updates from? WSUS or Windows update

Thank you again for your patience. 

Regards,
    Rita

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 3:09 AM
  • Hi Ritu,

Sorry for the delay in response!.

please find the details as you requested. my answers in bold.

1. Is the server the core version of the server?

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Base 

Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 Standard edition with 64-bit architecture. [English]
    2. Could you tell me if your environment is a domain environment?

no. my server is not domain joined. After I update the windows I will do the domain join. 
    3. Where does your server get updates from? WSUS or Windows update

I am using below commands.

wuauclt /detectnow
    wuauclt /updatenow

I am running above commands through powershell.

Thanks

Uma

Thursday, June 11, 2020 3:05 AM
  • Hi umareddy0706,

Thanks for your response. 

There's one more question you need for your assistance.
    I am unable to find the registry ( windows update check box) to automate the process from the power-shell.

Is the "Windows update check box" mentioned above what it looks like in the following image?

My understanding is that your current need is to check for windows updates through the registry or script. Is that right?

Thanks for your time. Wish you have a good weekend.

Regards,
    Rita

Friday, June 12, 2020 8:16 AM
  • Hi umareddy0706,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

If you have any questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 7:32 AM