A question about RMS User License RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 

We are looking at deploying RMS in our environment in the next few months and I have am learning about the technology at the moment.

Can someone assist me with the following questions please 

if I have protected a document with a User license set to 7 days 

A user then receives the document as an attachment in their Outlook email inbox (on-prem Exchange 2010) but does not open the email and therefore does not open the document attachement

Then one day latter, the user takes their laptop on an aeroplane (or similar offline situation) opens the email (as using Exchange offline mode at this point, and the email has already been stored in their OST),

Can the user open the document ?

Or does the user have to of open the document at least once before whist connected to the infrastructure, to be able to then open it a second time when offline (within the end user license expiry period)?

Please advise, thanks you

__AAnotherUser

AAnotherUser__

Monday, May 8, 2017 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think it would depend on a few things. Do you have the IRM enables on your exchange 2010 infrastructure? If so I believe that does a pre-licensing on behalf of the user and attaches a Use license. This should allow a user to open a protected email or attachment offline. But there is also another setting where you can set an option to Always require users to connect to verify permission. This would require a user to be connected to your company so that they can access the RMS licensing URL.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:59 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Lou,

yes I am assuming IRM is in place, and I take your point about Exchange obtaining a end user license on behalf of the user. I will have to look into it futher

Thanks

__AAnotherUser

AAnotherUser__

Friday, May 26, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Lou,

yes I am assuming IRM is in place, and I take your point about Exchange obtaining a end user license on behalf of the user. I will have to look into it futher

Thanks

__AAnotherUser

AAnotherUser__

Friday, May 26, 2017 9:09 AM