Active Directory migration from 2003 to 2008 R2 and Exchange Migration from 2007 to 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client that is migrating from AD 2003 to AD 2008 R2. This was a project that was started before I took over. They are "migrating" because they want to change the root forest name. They will also want to "migrate" from Exchange 2007 to 2010. I have advised them that all should be done together since they are effectvely moving to a new Domain, and Exchange will need to be setup in the new domain with a new Exchange Organization anyway. They are wanting to do the AD first and then go back and "move" Exchange. I have advised that you can't just "move" exchange, yet they will not listen. Can someone point me to some supporting documentation?
    Friday, February 24, 2012 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

Since you need to change the root forest name,  I will install the new AD (with new forest name) for 2008 R2, then use ADMT to migrate the users from old AD,  install new Exchange 2010 in the new forest, migrate mailboxes from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010, change the records from old Exchange Server to new Server.

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would do it the same way. First migrating Active Directory and then migraing the Exchangesystem. The reason ist, that the migration process tooks to long so there is a downtime between the migration process.

But I would think about renaming. What is the reason for that? Because if you install a new Exchange Server and than import the maildata from an old system to the new one, then alll appointsments will go wrong, because your users will get new SID. So you should think about migrating the SIDs of the original users to. In order to do this use Active Directory migration Tool. Using this tool you are also able to migrate the Computeraccounts from the original domain to the new domain too without touching the system. After that you are able to install Exchange and migrate the user data.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Thanks for the reply

We are using Quest Migration tools. We are keeping SID History. So you suggest moving Exchange to new Domain and then migrate to 2010 correct? What potential issues do you see if the 2007 environment was already forest prepped for 2010, but the upgrade was never done? The 2007 environemnt is clustered, are there any risks if I were to setup 2010 for HA? One server local and one remote?

Joe Gambino

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Since you need to change the root forest name,  I will install the new AD (with new forest name) for 2008 R2, then use ADMT to migrate the users from old AD,  install new Exchange 2010 in the new forest, migrate mailboxes from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010, change the records from old Exchange Server to new Server.

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:32 AM