none
uninstall IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• I have gone through all the normal ways to uninstall IE11. When using installed updates to remove it, Iget some updates failed to remove. I have tried disabling it and then uninstalling it. Same error. I have used

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart"

to no avail.  I have tried in safe mode all of the above.  Yet I get the same thing each time.  Anyone have any luck with this?

Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I made a test in my test machine, Windows 7 enterprise, I can uninstall IE 11 through View installed Update in Control Panel.

According to your description, what's the error message when uninstall failed?

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 6, 2014 9:54 AM
  • When the install fails a message window comes up with "some updates failed to remove".
    Friday, June 6, 2014 4:43 PM
  • I've had a lot of success, using the shell-scripting method you referenced, and I've found it common that a couple of warnings/errors about "failed to remove" do occur, usually without causing any problems (the uninstall/rollback is successful).

When I looked into the CBS.log, it revealed that a couple of these "failed to remove" were for older version packages/components, so I just ignored those warnings, because IE did successfully rollback.

but on a very small number of machines, the rollback failed, and again, I checked the CBS.log, to find out why.
    In my cases, I found that there were some missing package/components, so, the uninstall/rollback could not locate the necessary package/components, the uninstall/rollback was unable to complete all actions, so it failed, leaving the undesired version of IE in place.

You may find the same issue, so, check the CBS.log, look for the uninstall chain of events, and look for missing packages/components files. What worked for me, was to grab a copy of those files/folders from another pc, place them into the WinSxS folders, then re-try the rollback.

For me, this was all done on Win7.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Friday, June 6, 2014 11:40 PM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 11:40 PM
  • Would you mind looking through my cbs.log file?  I have no idea what I am looking for or at for that matter.  I can shorten it to the last date that I was trying to uninstall IE11

This shows up numerous times---

Info                  CBS    Failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]

And this---

Info                  CBS    Session: 30377133_1102131349 initialized by client WindowsUpdateAgent.
    Info                  CBS    Warning: Unrecognized packageExtended attribute.
    Info                  CBS    Expecting attribute name [HRESULT = 0x800f080d - CBS_E_MANIFEST_INVALID_ITEM]
    Info                  CBS    Failed to get next element [HRESULT = 0x800f080d - CBS_E_MANIFEST_INVALID_ITEM]

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

The information of this CBS contents is to small, it would be better to upload your CBS.log file to your OneDrive share folder and provide the sharing link to us.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:57 AM
    • Edited by skaterbull Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:29 PM
  • The most recent date is 6/10/14

There is a lot of this going around.  Looks like WinSxS is FUBAR?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/why-would-a-computer-fail-to-update-to-ie11/423a45a3-11b0-48b7-9f32-5ed37e550e39?page=2#LastReply

As usual I do not have access to the source or even support documentation and cannot read between the lines of these log messages.  So my diagnostic tactic would be to use ProcMon to find, correlate, and supplement whatever diagnostics that there are.

Otherwise, with appropriate backup to enable undoing any experiments which make things worse, I would try using DISM to see what sense (or hopefully repair) it can make of things.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you.  I will be working on this for several hours it looks like.
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:19 PM
  • Only thing I have found that may be preventing the uninstall is Kaspersky and Spybot. I have removed Spybot.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:20 PM
  • Only two days ago I have much this same problem.  I was testing IE8,IE9,...etc on Win7, repeatedly installing and removing each for tests.  Then I think it was because of latest Win update with reboot.  Or may be from installing IIS.  Or may be no reason in particular.  But suddenly, I am stuck at IE8.  IE9 installs from standalone to completion, then announces disappointing statement that something failed.  IE11 standalone goes all the way to completion, and then says to reboot.  But afterwards, IE8 is still there mysteriously.  What to do?

I remembered IE9 was last to uninstall before IE8 got stuck.  But I cannot figure out how to make the excellent instructions FORFILES to work, considering I have used standalones, or there are so many possibilities to name.  Lucky for me I retain other excellent DISM instructions which exist no longer, and my problem is solved perfectly!  Only two days ago.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/03b7e420-e11f-4742-8cd6-2bc25a8d3821/strange-internet-explorer-problem-please-help#37622c53-85ac-4eff-a64e-ea4f17be2556

You may find source of that info still remaining here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/db424fc2-dc9e-4722-95bb-c470dd766edf/flash-player-not-working-in-windows-8#021844f5-cf42-4f7b-b9b0-583ca9c2a2fb

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:33 PM
  •  Lucky for me I retain other excellent DISM instructions which exist no longer

Would you consider sharing them to fill in the holes?  ; }

FWIW those threads occurred before the recent  -355  fiasco when I started learning more about DISM than I knew then.  Otherwise I might have understood better then how EH's suggestions would work.

But then also perhaps the comments about DISM not removing a corrupt package might now be out-of-date?  E.g. I thought that is what DISM was supposed to be able to do?  (though not on W7sp1 I suppose?  I don't have W7 any more.)

Ref:
    DISM Operating System Package Servicing Command-Line Options 

This is supposedly the same thing for W7 (found from a link in an overview)

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dd744382.aspx

<quote>

DISM replaces several Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (Windows OPK) tools including PEImg, Intlcfg, and Package Manager.

</quote>

Does it really replace Package Manager?  Ah.  Documented on a separate page (implied by the TOC)

</quote> Operating system package-servicing commands can be used offline to install, remove, or update Windows® packages provided as cabinet (.cab) or Windows Update Stand-alone Installer (.msu) files.

</quote>

So, should it be done "offline" or "online"?

I still think that whatever workaround Greg Ashley found would be easier than all this "designed" maintenance functionality.  <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:40 PM
    Answerer
  • I have run SFC /scannow severaltimes. I states that errors were found but could not be corrected.  I have run it in safe mode.  Still get the same message.  I have gone through several CBS logs that fall within the time frame that I have run SFC.  Are there any instructions for uninstalling IE11 manually?
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:27 PM
  • I have run SFC /scannow severaltimes. I states that errors were found but could not be corrected.

I have gone through several CBS logs that fall within the time frame that I have run SFC.

What did they show?  Did you try supplementing their meaning with a ProcMon trace?

BTW another poster recently gave some insight on what Greg Ashley's workaround could have accomplished.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/ie-11-update-fails-on-window-7/ae0b7faf-852e-4c99-b25e-46bd949a6c79?page=2#LastReply

any instructions for uninstalling IE11 manually?

If your problem is that your WinSxS is FUBAR I suspect that using tricks such as a FORFILES loop on them for patterns of remaining files in there might only make things worse.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:56 PM
    Answerer
  • thanks for the reply.  It looks like Greg Ashley's workaround may do the trick.  I will keep the thread updated.  It may be a couple of days.
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:58 PM