none
DPM 2012SP1 and Windows Server 2012SP1, cannot get a replica volume to transfer data. RRS feed

• Question

• Situation :

6 months back we ran into the 16tb volume max size while trying to back up larger data sets. Mike was able to help me out in that I would create a protection group, selecting only on of the shares and then calculate in the modify section so that the intial replica was small ( 11gb ), then choosing to do a manual CC so that dpm would not go in and format the volume in 4k sector sizing. We then would continue to diskmgmt , select the newly created 11gb DPM volume and formatted it with 16k sectors and extended to be 50TB.

This method worked great, as soon as adding back in all the shares and doing a manual CC it would run and at the end create our recovery points. I am now setting up the same exact scenario only difference is I am using windows server 2012 sp1 instead of windows 2008R2. I have noticed some differences when extending disks in diskmgmt in the two versions, but did not think it would play a significant role.

Current problem:

Now when running the manual CC it goes to green orb and says ok, even adding in all of additional shares. So on the surface it appears to be fine, but it is not creating restore points, and when we try to do a manual recovery point it throws VSS writer errors. To be diligent we flattened and rebuilt the machine, even the raid sets, and fresh installed windows and dpm. And we are still getting no data transfer during a CC when looking at jobs in progress under monitoring.

Could this be related to server2012 not playing nice with dpm 2012? So far that is the only variable between a working model and a non working model.

Thanks

-jordan

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:21 PM

Answers

• Closing for housekeeping

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:59 PM