none
remote way to find what version of windows a device is running RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a way to find what version of Windows a workstation is running remotely.  These workstations are on the same network, but not a part of the domain.  This means I have no credentials to access them.  Is there a way to to do this?

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:20 PM

Answers

• It doesn't matter.  Without credentials you cannot access the OS and the machines will not expose their identity if they are not enabled to do so.  I suspect the manufacturers have done their job abnd have locked down the machines.  This is  probably why they are not listed in DNS.  Any connections are hard wired into the servicing systems. 

This is normal for medical machines.  We do not want people who are not qualified to have any access at all.  If someone asked you to do this then they are probably having a little joke on you.  HIPAA and other regulations require that al devices that might have any patient identifying data be locked down.

The servicing systems will have to information you want although many devices are "upload only" which means they can connect to and upload data and images to another system but they cannot be connected to or remotely managed.

As I posted above.  You will have to contact the owners of the machines to find out if they are managed.

There are RPC probing tools that can read back OS data but it is likely that these machines are firewalled against that.  Try to telnet to port 445 to see if it responds. If it does one of the third party tools can probe it for more information.

This has pretty good discovery software.  If GFI can't do it it can't be done.

http://www.gfi.com/products-and-solutions/network-security-solutions/gfi-languard

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by chrisalbertie Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:11 PM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:10 PM

All replies

• No credentials no access.  I recommend walking over to them and looking to see what is running.  Call the user on the phone.  Send email.

Not many more options.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:28 PM
  • If any of those were options, I would not have a problem doing that.  most of these are bio-medical type / one-off devices.  unfortunately, I cannot call or ask anyone what their ctscan machine is named.  I was hoping there was a way to run a version (ver) command remotely to one of these workstations or any wmi, ps, or vbs script that might work by being able to find a port and probe it.

My other thing is that some of these workstations do not resolve a name and I only have an IP and/or MAC to go by.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:42 PM
  • It doesn't matter.  Without credentials you cannot access the OS and the machines will not expose their identity if they are not enabled to do so.  I suspect the manufacturers have done their job abnd have locked down the machines.  This is  probably why they are not listed in DNS.  Any connections are hard wired into the servicing systems. 

This is normal for medical machines.  We do not want people who are not qualified to have any access at all.  If someone asked you to do this then they are probably having a little joke on you.  HIPAA and other regulations require that al devices that might have any patient identifying data be locked down.

The servicing systems will have to information you want although many devices are "upload only" which means they can connect to and upload data and images to another system but they cannot be connected to or remotely managed.

As I posted above.  You will have to contact the owners of the machines to find out if they are managed.

There are RPC probing tools that can read back OS data but it is likely that these machines are firewalled against that.  Try to telnet to port 445 to see if it responds. If it does one of the third party tools can probe it for more information.

This has pretty good discovery software.  If GFI can't do it it can't be done.

http://www.gfi.com/products-and-solutions/network-security-solutions/gfi-languard

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by chrisalbertie Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:11 PM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:10 PM