none
Tape Library "missing" slots RRS feed

• Question

• We have DPM2010 with a Dell TL2000 library attached via fiber.  It has 23 available slots plus 1 I/O slot.  Currently, I have 21 tapes in the library.  Libararies tab under Management shows Slots (Tape available: 21 | Empty: 2).  This is normal.

When I put a cleaning tape into slot 23 (one of the empy slots), and run a fast inventory, slot 23 disappears and now I have    Slots (Tape available: 21 | Empty: 1 | Missing: 1)  The Cleaning tape does not show up and I am unable to clean the drive with the clean command.  If I attamtp to clean the drive, it warns me that I don't have any cleaning media loaded.

I can easily log into the management interface of the TL2000 library and run a cleaning there, however the jobs in DPM will not run properly if a cleaning is necessary.  Basically, the drive goes offline and jobs fail until I manually clean the drive through web management console.

Is this "missing" slot normal?  What am I doing wrong here?  The tape library works as I would expect as long as I don't have a cleaning tape in there.  Anyone seen this before?

• Moved by MarcReynolds Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:33 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try adding the following registry key on the DPM server containing the tape library:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
       RSMCompatMode:REG_DWORD:0x8

Note The RSMCompatMode registry value is used to specify multiple flags for DPM. The following are the flags that are set by this registry value:

• 1 = RSM_COMPAT_INIT_ELEMENT_STATUS
    • 4 = RSM_COMPAT_IGNORE_TAPE_INVENTORY_RESULT
    • 8 = RSM_COMPAT_CLEANER_EXCEPTION

If 8 does not help try 0xD (13 decimal) and let us know the results.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try adding the following registry key on the DPM server containing the tape library:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
       RSMCompatMode:REG_DWORD:0x8

Note The RSMCompatMode registry value is used to specify multiple flags for DPM. The following are the flags that are set by this registry value:

• 1 = RSM_COMPAT_INIT_ELEMENT_STATUS
    • 4 = RSM_COMPAT_IGNORE_TAPE_INVENTORY_RESULT
    • 8 = RSM_COMPAT_CLEANER_EXCEPTION

If 8 does not help try 0xD (13 decimal) and let us know the results.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:18 PM
  • Thank you for the quick reply.  That cleaning tape is nearing end of life, which I don't think is causing the issue.... But, I have a new tape on the way, and I'll try your suggestions with the new cleaning media and post back the results.

Thanks!

Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:21 PM
  • As you suggested, I added the key in the registry.  I used Value 0x8.  I put the tape in slot 23, and then I ran a fast inventory.  DPM now sees the cleaning tape in Slot 23, and it has labeled it as such.  

Slot 23   Tape available   Cleaning tape   CLNU03L1

The Libarary also reports the slots properly:

Slots (Tape available: 22 | Empty: 1)

Thanks again for the assist!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem, but for us the registry value didn´t fix the issue.

DPM does not show all tapes Only:

Slot 4 is not present, also I dont see the clean drive.

I have already played with the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
       RSMCompatMode   (tested values: 8 and 13 decimal)

But this changes did not fix the issue.

The DELL TL2000 tapedriver verion is also current:

Suggestions would be brilliant, thank you.

gruss Daniel Ovadia MBSS - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MCNPS

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:42 PM
  • any ideas would be great, thank you

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:25 PM
  • http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/DELL-Tape-Library-TL2000-f5e7bd8f

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Great this helped me.

Win 2008 R2 and DPM 2010

IBM Total storage 3573

Thanks