How can a standard user account run a program without supplying admin credentials RRS feed

• Question

• Our users are standard users on their PCs. There is one program that is asking for a username and password with administrator rights.

I know of the shortcut method using runas /savecred /user:administrator, but this is not a good idea.

I tried the scheduled task / shortcut  method "schtasks /run /tn "taskname", but this doesn't work.  The GUI is launched in the administrator session and is not even visible to the user.

How can I allow a standard user to run this program without him having to enter admin credentials or without making him a member of the local administrator group on the PC?

Friday, June 10, 2016 3:29 PM

Answers

• What I did was download a program called runasspc and configure it with a token. This allowed for admin credentials to be supplied without giving them the password. Make sure to create a separate account just for this purpose just in case this password is compromised.
    Friday, June 10, 2016 6:50 PM

All replies

• What I did was download a program called runasspc and configure it with a token. This allowed for admin credentials to be supplied without giving them the password. Make sure to create a separate account just for this purpose just in case this password is compromised.
    Friday, June 10, 2016 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

The Standard user will be restricted by UAC for computer security. Here is a workaround to run app with highest privileges. Check if it can meet your requirement.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/run-uac-restricted-programs-without-the-uac-prompt/730

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. The article also can be applied to Windows 7.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 13, 2016 11:20 AM
  • Hi Tao.  This is the scheduled task method I mentioned in my original post that doesn't work.  The program launches in the session of the user that was used in "run this as" in the scheduled task.  It doesn't run in the logged on user session so you can't even see the program.

Hi Mel.  I saw that 3rd party app but that wasn't a way I wanted to go.  Thanks anyways.

Monday, June 13, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

We haven't heard from you in a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:30 AM
  • Hi.  No, I haven't found anyway to do this without making the user a local admin on the PC.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:19 PM
  • Have the same trouble with a game, programmed 2003, for my grand daughter.
    The link above was helpful for some years,
    but now with Win 10 the method doesn't work.

Erhy

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:55 PM